Having collected more than a whopping Rs400 crores in box office collections worldwide (Rs300 crores in India alone), the action thriller directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj is also doing extremely well on Disney+ Hotstar, where it was released last weekend.
In a tweet, the streaming platform said that Vikram recorded the highest ever opening weekend viewership, subscription and watch time.
Here's a list of trivia about Vikram that you may not know about:
- The film brings together three National Award winners: Kamal Haasan, Fahadh Faasil, and Vijay Sethupathi. Kamal has four national awards under his belt, while Fahadh and VJS have one each.
- Most of the guns used in the film are owned by Kamal, with proper licence.
- This is Kamal's first film after his foray into politics.
- This is the first time the Ulaganayagan title card sequence has appeared for a film not directed by K.S Ravikumar. The director was responsible for giving Kamal the title.
- Vikram is Kamal's first film released after a four-year-hiatus. He was last seen on the big screen in Vishwaroopam (2018).
- Buoyed by the success of the film, Kamal gifted the director Lokesh a Lexus ES300h luxury sedan as a sign of appreciation.
- It was reported that actor Suriya did not charge a single sen to appear in the brief yet impactful role as drug lord "Rolex Sir" at the end of the movie.
- Kamal gave Suriya his own Rolex watch worth a whopping Rs47 lakhs. In addition, the veteran actor also gave the assistant directors of the movie, a motorcycle each.
- While the Tamil version had 'Chacku Chacku Vathikuchi' from the 1995 movie Asuran played in two scenes, the Hindi version had the track changed to 'I am a disco dancer' from 1982 movie Disco Dancer.
- Close to the intermission, Vijay Sethupathi's Santhanam character is seen wearing a partially broken sunglasses. This is believed to be a nod to the role of Sugirtharaja, the antagonist in the 1986 Vikram, played by Sathyaraj.
- Vikram marks the beginning of director Lokesh's cinematic universiti, dubbed the Loki Cinematic Universe (LCU) by his fans, by incorporating characters and story line from his 2019 movie Kaithi.
- Vikram was released on the same week as Top Gun: Maverick, starring Tom Cruise. Coincidentally, the first instalments of both Vikram and Top Gun were both released in 1986. Both sequels are super hits.
Photo source: Onmanorama, peepingmoon.com, indiaglitz