It would not be a stretch to say that the human body is a scientific marvel.
Millions of processes go on at the cellular level in our bodies on a daily basis, and yet, most of us take it for granted.
These are 15 facts about the human body that may make you take better care of the "gift" given to you:
1) Your eyes blink an average of 20 times a minute, or over 10 million times a year!
2) Your ears never stop growing throughout your lifetime.
3) Earwax is actually a type of sweat.
4) You produce about 40,000 litres of spit throughout your life - enough to fill around 500 bathtubs.
5) You are 1cm taller in the morning than you are before you go to bed. This is because the soft cartilage between your bones get squashed and compressed during the day.
6) It would take an average person 690 days to walk around the world; assuming you walked 12 hours a day.
7) The only muscle that constantly works, but never tires, is the heart. So make sure you take good care of it.
8) Assuming you live to be 70, your never-tiring heart will have beat around 2.5 billion times!
9) The entire surface of your skin is replaced every 30 days, when new cells replace the approximately 40,000 skin cells that your body sheds daily. This amounts to about 1,000 different skins in your life, assuming you live to be 83 years old.
10) We "lose" bones as we grow. Simply put, babies are born with approximately 300 bones, but as they grow, some of the bones fuse together. By adulthood, humans only have 206 bones.
11) There are between 60,000 to 100,000 miles (over 160,000km) of blood vessels in the human body, and if they were taken out and laid end-to-end, they would be long enough to travel around the world more than three times.
12) Although teeth are considered part of the skeletal system, they are not counted as bones.
13) The brain only accounts to two per cent of our body mass, but consumes 20 per cent of our oxygen and blood supply.
14) Humans may not be the biggest, fastest, or strongest animals around, but we excel at long distance running - a gift inherited from our ancestors who hunted for food.
15) Blood makes up eight per cent of a person's body weight.
Source: penguin.co.uk, osgpc.com
Photo source: Pexels
Thu May 19 2022
Unique Malaysia: Common Slangs We Often Use & What They Mean
As Malaysians, we often utter slang words that have unique meanings. These are some of them and what they mean.
Eight Ways to Naturally Boost your Immune System
These are eight sure-fire ways to boost your immune system, the natural way.
Editor's Pick: Best 6 Last-Minute Shopping Places for Deepavali in Malaysia
If you are looking for some last-minute shopping ideas, check out these places to get some quick fix to your dilemma
Chittu Urundai: The Forgotten Delicacy
Have you ever eaten Chittu Urundai? In fact, it is a traditional delicacy that is forgotten.
9 Ways To Have A “Save” Deepavali Celebration!
A quick guide to avoid getting carried away with our spending.
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
Seven Tips to Drive Safely in the Rain
Driving in the rain can be really challenging sometimes. Here are seven tips to help you drive safely in wet road conditions.
The Significance Of Lighting Lamps During Deepavali
So what is the significance of lighting lamps? Find out here...
The Science Behind Vaastu Shastra and Why It's Important
What is Vaastu Shastra about and how is it applied in the real world?
BEGINNER: Simple Rangoli Design Using Only Plates & Bangles
Deepavali Vantiruchi! What's more fun than drawing kolam together with your family members?
Kangana Ranaut To Take On The Iconic Role Of ‘Chandramukhi’
Kangana Ranaut who plays the female lead role in Jayalalithaa's biopic film - ‘Thalaivii’ is all set to bring back her majestic appearance in the iconic role of Chandramukhi in P. Vasu’s Chandramukhi 2.
Check Out 6 Movies of Kamal Haasan That Celebrated Tamil Art & Tradition!
Let's take a look at the 6 movies Kamal Haasan brought Tamil arts and traditions to the mass audience...
Meet Maya, The Real-Life “Iron Lady” of Malaysia
Meet Maya - indeed a beautiful ‘Rope Access Technician’ and ‘Non-Destructive Testing Technician’ who was seen in a video posted on Twitter by Kuala Lumpur Reporter climbing to the top of one of the Petronas Twin Towers to repair its light bulbs.
Nisshaa, A Young Woman Who Is Not Letting Her Crippling Condition Get in the Way
Nisshaa Muniandy suffers from a crippling combination of dystonia and epilepsy, but the young woman is not letting that get in her way of achieving in life. This is her inspiring story...
Krishen Jit Fund Awards 6 Grants to Exceptional Malaysians
Astro in collaboration with Creador Foundation and Five Arts Centre has awarded six grants to creative Malaysians worth a total of RM57,000, ranging from RM5,000 to RM15,000 through the Krishen Jit Fund.
Male Body Shaming, the 'Less-Talked Social Issue'
Why don’t we talk about male body shaming?
Samuel Isaiah Emerges as the First Malaysian to Receive TRT World Citizen Educator Award
Samuel Isaiah beams with pride by emerging as the first Malaysian to be awarded TRT World Citizen Educator Award.
The Legend Behind Tungnath - World's Highest Shivan Temple!
This is the legend by Tungnath, the world's highest Shivan temple!
Varisu vs Thunivu; Biggest Box Office Clash Confirmed!
An epic Pongal clashes!
Tamil School Pupils' Sweep Prestigious Awards at Eurasian Spelling Bee Competition 2022
An amazing accomplishment came after a group of Tamil school student shine at the Eurasian Spelling Bee Competition 2022.