Yoga is more than a 5,000-year-old holistic approach to a "complete" life. It involves breathing, body movement, cleanses the internal and external aspects of a human body, unifies us to the universe, and in some cases, guides us to the spiritual aspects of life.
Hatha yoga is known as the most original form of yoga and many other practices evolved from this, as the root. In Sanskrit, Ha means Sun and Tha means moon, thus, Hatha translates into a force that balances life energy.
According to one of the oldest Hatha Yoga scripture - Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Lord Shiva (the founder of Hatha Yoga) taught all the 84,000 asanas to his consort, Goddess Parvati. But as time went by, many asanas were either reduced or modified until there were only a few hundreds left. Of this, only 84 are generally known and are of importance.
According to the Goraksha Samhitha (another Hatha yoga scripture), out of the 84, only 32 are considered "most useful" to mankind.
Of this 32, only the first 4 are said to be vital to attain yogic perfection, especially in the practice of breathing and meditation. They are Siddhasana, Padmasana (lotus pose), Bhadrasana (bound angle butterfly pose), and Muktasana (liberation pose).
Below are the 32 asanas considered useful for humans, and their respective benefits:
1. Siddhasana (perfectly seated) - Stabilizes the sexual energy, which is beneficial for deep meditation.
2. Padmasana (lotus) - Keeps the spine straight.
3. Bhadrasana (bound angle butterfly - Develops the flexibility of legs.
4. Muktasana (liberation) - Good for meditation and Pranayama.
(First 4 poses are for breathing and meditation).
5. Vajrasana (thunderbolt) - Stimulates the vajra nadi which facilitates digestion
6. Svastikasana (prosperous – Similar to Siddhasana, except the top foot is on top of the opposing thigh) - stimulates energy channels.
7. Simhasana (lion) - Relieves tension in the face and chest.
8. Gomukhasana (cow face) - Relieves chronic knee pain.
9. Virasana (hero) - Relieves the symptoms of menopause.
10. Dhanurasana (bow) -Effective in weight loss.
11. Mritasana (Shavasana, corpse) – Relaxes the body.
12. Guptasana (hidden) - Helps in reaching achigher state of awareness.
13. Matsyasana (fish) - Stretches and stimulates the organs of the body.
14. Matsyendrasana (Lord of the Fishes, seated twist) - Stimulates the liver and kidneys.
15. Gorakshana (Saint Goraksha) – Awakens the kundalini.
16. Paschimottanasana (seated forward bend) - Soothes headaches, anxiety and reduces fatigue.
17. Utkatasana (chair) - Strengthens the ankles, thighs, calves, and spine
18. Sankatasana (difficult) - Improves mental concentration.
19. Mayurasana (peacock) - Detoxifies the body and helps get rid of skin problems such as acne, dark spots and pimples.
20. Kukkutasana (cock or rooster) - Develops a sense of balance and stability.
21. Kurmasana (turtle) - Stimulates your abdominal organs and eases flatulence.
22. Uttanaskurmasana (inverted tortoise) - Improves respiratory rate.
23. Uttanamandukasana (lifted frog) - Improves diaphragmatic movement and helps improve lung capacity.
24. Vrikshasana (tree) - Improves balance and stability in the legs.
25. Mandukasana (frog) - Prevents Diabetes
26. Garudasana (eagle) - Strengthens and stretches the ankles and calves.
27. Vrishasana (bull) - Leaves you in a state of rejuvenation.
28. Shalabhasana (locust) - Improves one's posture.
29. Makarasana (crocodile) - Helps cure slipped disc, spondylitis, and sciatica.
30. Ushtrasana (camel) - Stretches and strengthens the shoulders and back.
31. Bhujangasana (cobra) - Soothes sciatica.
32. Yogasana (staff or Dandasana) - Nourishes your body's resistance to back and hip injuries.
Yoga is seen as the gift to mankind. It provides immense health benefits not just in terms of asanas (postures and movement), but through pranayama (breathing), dyana (meditation), shatkarma (cleansing), mudra (hand gestures) and more.
Hatha yoga, while seen as a gentle form of yoga that focuses on static poses, can still be physically and mentally challenging for beginners.
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer.
Photo source: FB Yoginizha Yatra
Fri May 06 2022
Top 5 Under-Rated Kerala Dishes You Must Try
Step out of your comfort zone and try these less common Kerala dishes that are simply delicious
The Mystical Story Behind Onam Celebration!
Onam is a ten-day festival celebrated by the Malayali Hindus in the first month of Malayalam calendar Chingam. Find out the story behind this auspicious celebration...
Research: Your Phone Color Reveals your Personality
Does the color of your mobile phone reveal your personality? This research thinks so.
Bhangra To A Better Body!
Bhangra is one of the best folk dances to get in shape while listening to your favourite Bollywood tunes. Here's why and how!
Seven Selfies you Should Never Share Online!
Taking a selfie has become a norm nowadays. But steer clear of posting these types of selfies which may cost you your reputation, or even life...
The 18 Renowned Siddhars And Their Expertise
In learning about Tamil culture and history, one should never ignore the existence of Siddhars.
Tasty Maracurry Mess Recipes Fresh from The Pot!
Maracurry Mess is a show airing on Astro Vaanavil (Ch201), featuring renowned local chef Rajesh Subramaniam whipping up delicious vegetarian dishes.
Break These Bad Lifestyle Habits and Start Living Healthy
Put your willpower to the test with these four basic habits for a healthy lifestyles that everyone should diligently practice...
Five Tips to Brave The Current Heatwave
Several areas in the country are currently experiencing yellow-level heatwave, with temperatures reaching up to 37 degrees Celsius. Here are five quick tips that may help you emerge unscathed in this predicament.
Yoga, The Best Remedy For Pregnant Women
Astro Announces Succession Plans
Why Is Navarathiri Celebrated?
Here's how the story goes...
Nine Avatars Of Goddess Durga
During the war between Durga and Mahishasura, Durga takes nine different forms over nine days to win over the demon...
Unknown Facts About Navrathri!
These are some of the unknown facts about Navrathri...
Scientific Reason Behind Fasting On Navarathri
Here are the scientific reasons behind fasting on the nine days of Navarathri...
Auditions now open for Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro
Aspiring Malaysian talents aged 18 to 35 years old are invited to participate in the Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro for a chance to begin a career as a TV or radio host.
What Are Yasmin & Suresh Doing In The Kitchen? And Why Did They Say They’re Not Guilty?
Something delicious is happening in the kitchen. Join Suresh and Yasmin as they deep fry a bunch of food with NeuVida cooking oil.
Astro customers to enjoy up to 50% off Padma Shree Hariharan concert tickets
Astro customers can enjoy up to 50% off concert tickets to legendary Indian playback singer Padma Shree Hariharan live in Malaysia on 12 November, 7pm at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre.
A.R RAHMAN 'LIVE IN CONCERT' TO WOW MALAYSIAN FANS IN JANUARY 2023!!
After a gap of six (6) long years, internationally-acclaimed Indian composer, A.R Rahman is coming to Malaysia, thanks to a spectacular concert - `A. R Rahman - Secret of Success - Live in Malaysia 2023
Enjoy more local Tamil shows premiering in September on Astro
Astro customers can look forward to more premiering local Tamil shows this September, including drama telemovie, Abaaya Sangili and drama series, Oru Kalainganin Diary on TV, Astro GO and On Demand.