Yoga is more than a 5,000-year-old holistic approach to a "complete" life. It involves breathing, body movement, cleanses the internal and external aspects of a human body, unifies us to the universe, and in some cases, guides us to the spiritual aspects of life.
Hatha yoga is known as the most original form of yoga and many other practices evolved from this, as the root. In Sanskrit, Ha means Sun and Tha means moon, thus, Hatha translates into a force that balances life energy.
According to one of the oldest Hatha Yoga scripture - Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Lord Shiva (the founder of Hatha Yoga) taught all the 84,000 asanas to his consort, Goddess Parvati. But as time went by, many asanas were either reduced or modified until there were only a few hundreds left. Of this, only 84 are generally known and are of importance.
According to the Goraksha Samhitha (another Hatha yoga scripture), out of the 84, only 32 are considered "most useful" to mankind.
Of this 32, only the first 4 are said to be vital to attain yogic perfection, especially in the practice of breathing and meditation. They are Siddhasana, Padmasana (lotus pose), Bhadrasana (bound angle butterfly pose), and Muktasana (liberation pose).
Below are the 32 asanas considered useful for humans, and their respective benefits:
1. Siddhasana (perfectly seated) - Stabilizes the sexual energy, which is beneficial for deep meditation.
2. Padmasana (lotus) - Keeps the spine straight.
3. Bhadrasana (bound angle butterfly - Develops the flexibility of legs.
4. Muktasana (liberation) - Good for meditation and Pranayama.
(First 4 poses are for breathing and meditation).
5. Vajrasana (thunderbolt) - Stimulates the vajra nadi which facilitates digestion
6. Svastikasana (prosperous – Similar to Siddhasana, except the top foot is on top of the opposing thigh) - stimulates energy channels.
7. Simhasana (lion) - Relieves tension in the face and chest.
8. Gomukhasana (cow face) - Relieves chronic knee pain.
9. Virasana (hero) - Relieves the symptoms of menopause.
10. Dhanurasana (bow) -Effective in weight loss.
11. Mritasana (Shavasana, corpse) – Relaxes the body.
12. Guptasana (hidden) - Helps in reaching achigher state of awareness.
13. Matsyasana (fish) - Stretches and stimulates the organs of the body.
14. Matsyendrasana (Lord of the Fishes, seated twist) - Stimulates the liver and kidneys.
15. Gorakshana (Saint Goraksha) – Awakens the kundalini.
16. Paschimottanasana (seated forward bend) - Soothes headaches, anxiety and reduces fatigue.
17. Utkatasana (chair) - Strengthens the ankles, thighs, calves, and spine
18. Sankatasana (difficult) - Improves mental concentration.
19. Mayurasana (peacock) - Detoxifies the body and helps get rid of skin problems such as acne, dark spots and pimples.
20. Kukkutasana (cock or rooster) - Develops a sense of balance and stability.
21. Kurmasana (turtle) - Stimulates your abdominal organs and eases flatulence.
22. Uttanaskurmasana (inverted tortoise) - Improves respiratory rate.
23. Uttanamandukasana (lifted frog) - Improves diaphragmatic movement and helps improve lung capacity.
24. Vrikshasana (tree) - Improves balance and stability in the legs.
25. Mandukasana (frog) - Prevents Diabetes
26. Garudasana (eagle) - Strengthens and stretches the ankles and calves.
27. Vrishasana (bull) - Leaves you in a state of rejuvenation.
28. Shalabhasana (locust) - Improves one's posture.
29. Makarasana (crocodile) - Helps cure slipped disc, spondylitis, and sciatica.
30. Ushtrasana (camel) - Stretches and strengthens the shoulders and back.
31. Bhujangasana (cobra) - Soothes sciatica.
32. Yogasana (staff or Dandasana) - Nourishes your body's resistance to back and hip injuries.
Yoga is seen as the gift to mankind. It provides immense health benefits not just in terms of asanas (postures and movement), but through pranayama (breathing), dyana (meditation), shatkarma (cleansing), mudra (hand gestures) and more.
Hatha yoga, while seen as a gentle form of yoga that focuses on static poses, can still be physically and mentally challenging for beginners.
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer.
Photo source: FB Yoginizha Yatra
Wed Sep 29 2021
The Real Essence Of the Festival Of Lights
This is the significance of lighting lamps during Deepavali.
Why It’ll Be A Tragedy If The Vanakkam Disappears
This is the significance of saying Vanakam.
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
How Can Hindu Youths Celebrate Deepavali?
Deepavali represents the conquest of good over evil. During the festival, lamps are lit in every home and that is why Deepavali is also known as the 'Festival of Lights'.
The Legends Of Deepavali!
These are the famous legends that's being associated with this celebration...
Special Deepavali Mixed Biryani With Chicken, Prawn and Fish!
We bet you've tried Chicken, Mutton, Fish, Seafood or Vegetarian Biryani but have you tried mixed biryani?
Elderly Blessings: Reason To Touch Their Feet On Deepavali!
It is a custom or a common practice to touch the feet of an elderly person especially parents and grandparents on Deepavali.
Seven Chai-Flavoured Desserts You Can Try This Deepavali If You Really Like Tea
These are seven chai-flavoured desserts you can try to do this Deepavali if you really like tea.
The Death of Naragasuran is Not the Reason Why We Celebrate Deepavali?
What is the actual reason behind celebrating the Festival of Lights? Read on here...
The Significance Of Lighting Lamps During Deepavali
So what is the significance of lighting lamps? Find out here...
Best Moments From The 67th National Film Award Ceremony!
Check out some of the best moments from the National Film Award ceremony held today at New Delhi...
Join Tamilethumy Season 2 Watch & Win Contest 2021!
Along with the launch of Tamiletchumy 2, we are bringing you an exciting Watch & Win contest with TWO (2) winners every weekday!
Rajinikanth Receives Dadasaheb Phalke Award; Attends Ceremony With Dhanush & Aishwarya
Legendary actor Rajinikanth was honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award at Delhi today...
Is 'Mouna Raagam 2' Actress Raveena Daha In A Relationship?
Actress Raveena's emotional social media post on her birthday has started relationship rumours. But this is what the actress revealed...
'You Are the Master of Your Own Battles, Stand and Shine!'
Saumyaasiny Vijayan suffers from Spastic Triplegia Cerebral Palsy, but the young champion is not letting her disability get in the way of "shining bright" in life.
Indians 'Gifted' With Highest Negative Blood Phenotypes: National Blood Centre
Indians are 'gifted' with the highest percentage of negative blood phenotype compared to the other races in the country, the National Blood Centre has confirmed.
"Someone Is Impersonating Me" - Bigg Boss Suresh Reveals!
This is what Bigg Boss Suresh revealed in his latest social media post..
Chemistry Teacher V Komathy Wins Global Teacher Award 2021!
Chemistry teacher V. Komathy has won the Global Teacher Award 2021, given out to recognize remarkable educators at school and college level.
Actor Besant Ravi Talks About Survivor; Shares His View After Watching It At Home!
Actor Besant Ravi got eliminated from the Survivor Tamil show recently. This is what the actor revealed after watching the program at home...
This Controversial Contestant Evicted From Bigg Boss Tamil S5 This Week?
Both Chinna Ponnu and Abishek Raja was in the danger zone, and now it is speculated that this contestant has left the show...