Flexibility is crucial for one to perform yoga asanas. Beginners who are less flexible may find yoga workout a bit "too much" to handle, or hope for yoga workouts to help them develop flexibility almost overnight.
Rigid people may experience some notable changes to their body after just a few yoga lessons. Some people realise that they can't even perform squats until they join yoga classes. This means, the correct yoga stretching develops flexibility in all parts of the body, including parts which have not been consciously worked on.
Flexibility in yoga is in fact, an investment that transforms the mind and the body.
Yoga stretches the muscles and the joints, and gives optimum benefits to all part of the body. Stretching improves one's flexibility and this, in turn, gives one the ability to withstand physical stress and get injured less.
The human body stiffens with age, as one's muscles lose its moisture content. Consistent yoga stretches can slow down the process of dehydration by stimulating the production of tissue lubricants. They help loosen tight muscles and help muscles rebuild themselves with a healthier parallel cell structure.
Before you think about joining a yoga class, let's try these 5 simple tricks to see whether you are flexible enough for the task:
1) Stand straight. Inhale and exhale and bend down to touch your toes. If you are unable to touch your toe without bending your kness, you need to work on this basic pose, to gain basic flexibility. If your fingers or palm can go "beyond" and can touch the floor, your spine is in tip top shape.
2) Join your hands together behind your back, similar to a prayer pose. If your palms can touch one another in between your shoulder playes, you have a flexible shoulder.
3) Kneel down, lean back and try to touch your heels with your hand. This asana, known as the camel pose, is one of the basic poses for naeck and back flexibility. You really need to work on back bending practice if you face difficulty in assuming this position.
4) Test your hip flexibility by touching your knee with your forehead. To do this, sit on the floor with your leg stretched straight in front. Now bend your right knee towards your left leg, with the right toes touching the leg thighs. Now lower your torso and try to grab your left foot. If you can easily touch your knee with your forehead and hold this pose for 2 minutes, your flexibility is in check. Your hip is super flexible and you just need some extra practice to move on with advanced practices.
5) Lastly, try out plank. How long can you hold this position? This pose might seem like it's focused more on strength rather than flexibility, but it actually helps condition your whole body. Perform this pose for 3 rounds, while gradually increasing the count from 10 to 20, then 30. Can you endure this position for long?
Whether you’re a beginner or a well-experienced practitioner, you can always start your practice from the comfort of your own space. Hope the suggestions above have provided efficient ideas for you to start yoga especially if you're on the hunt for a yoga platform that suits you.
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer.
Photo source: Facebook Yoginizha Yatra
Sun Apr 19 2020
Top 5 Under-Rated Kerala Dishes You Must Try
Step out of your comfort zone and try these less common Kerala dishes that are simply delicious
The Mystical Story Behind Onam Celebration!
Onam is a ten-day festival celebrated by the Malayali Hindus in the first month of Malayalam calendar Chingam. Find out the story behind this auspicious celebration...
Research: Your Phone Color Reveals your Personality
Does the color of your mobile phone reveal your personality? This research thinks so.
Bhangra To A Better Body!
Bhangra is one of the best folk dances to get in shape while listening to your favourite Bollywood tunes. Here's why and how!
Seven Selfies you Should Never Share Online!
Taking a selfie has become a norm nowadays. But steer clear of posting these types of selfies which may cost you your reputation, or even life...
The 18 Renowned Siddhars And Their Expertise
In learning about Tamil culture and history, one should never ignore the existence of Siddhars.
Tasty Maracurry Mess Recipes Fresh from The Pot!
Maracurry Mess is a show airing on Astro Vaanavil (Ch201), featuring renowned local chef Rajesh Subramaniam whipping up delicious vegetarian dishes.
Break These Bad Lifestyle Habits and Start Living Healthy
Put your willpower to the test with these four basic habits for a healthy lifestyles that everyone should diligently practice...
Five Tips to Brave The Current Heatwave
Several areas in the country are currently experiencing yellow-level heatwave, with temperatures reaching up to 37 degrees Celsius. Here are five quick tips that may help you emerge unscathed in this predicament.
Yoga, The Best Remedy For Pregnant Women
Unknown Facts About Navrathri!
These are some of the unknown facts about Navrathri...
Stop Bullying Before It Starts!
The traits of a bully can be easily spotted in someone's childhood. This responsibility largely lies with parents, teacher and the society!
Astro Announces Succession Plans
Why Is Navarathiri Celebrated?
Here's how the story goes...
Nine Avatars Of Goddess Durga
During the war between Durga and Mahishasura, Durga takes nine different forms over nine days to win over the demon...
Scientific Reason Behind Fasting On Navarathri
Here are the scientific reasons behind fasting on the nine days of Navarathri...
Auditions now open for Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro
Aspiring Malaysian talents aged 18 to 35 years old are invited to participate in the Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro for a chance to begin a career as a TV or radio host.
What Are Yasmin & Suresh Doing In The Kitchen? And Why Did They Say They’re Not Guilty?
Something delicious is happening in the kitchen. Join Suresh and Yasmin as they deep fry a bunch of food with NeuVida cooking oil.
Astro customers to enjoy up to 50% off Padma Shree Hariharan concert tickets
Astro customers can enjoy up to 50% off concert tickets to legendary Indian playback singer Padma Shree Hariharan live in Malaysia on 12 November, 7pm at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre.
A.R RAHMAN 'LIVE IN CONCERT' TO WOW MALAYSIAN FANS IN JANUARY 2023!!
After a gap of six (6) long years, internationally-acclaimed Indian composer, A.R Rahman is coming to Malaysia, thanks to a spectacular concert - `A. R Rahman - Secret of Success - Live in Malaysia 2023