*Puranas behind Aadi Velli*
The Goddess manifested as Pachai Amman (an aspect of Goddess Parvati) to establish peace and harmony in the world. Pachai Amman or Kanni Amman, by her inherent energy appeared in many Holy centers and her presence enhanced the Divine Powers of these localities. In her manifestation of Thirumullaivaayal, She established peace and prosperity in the world. Also called the Goddess of marriage and fertility, she showers her blessings on young maidens aspiring for a suitable groom.
Each Friday of Aadi month is special in its own way. With that let’s have a look at the Goddess that each Friday reflects too..
During the Aadi Fridays, Goddess Shakti is revered in her different powerful forms as follows:
- 1st Aadi Friday is dedicated to the Goddess of wealth - Swarnambika
- 2nd Aadi Friday is dedicated to the Goddess of intelligence - Angala Amman
- 3rd Aadi Friday is dedicated to the Goddess of courage and health - Annai Kalikambal
- 4th Aadi Friday is dedicated to the Goddess of relationship - Kamakshi Amman
- 5th Aadi Friday is dedicated to the Goddess of overall prosperity – Lakshmi
Dates of Aadi Velli dates that should take note in 2023:
1st Aadi Velli - 21st July 2023
2nd Aadi Velli - 28th July 2023
3rd Aadi Velli - 4th August 2023
4th Aadi Velli - 11th August 2023
Rituals of Aadi Velli
- Aadi Velli is of great significance to women devotees as many special rituals are performed in the month.
- Aadi Velli is for performing pujas dedicated to Nagas (Snakes). The Naga puja is of great importance and carries great religious significance to Amman devotees.
- Varalakshmi Puja, an important ritual dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi, is performed on a Friday in the month of Aadi.
- Devotees visit temples and offer ‘Koozh’ (porridge) to the Goddess and later distribute it to the other devotees. Perform special pujas on Fridays.
- Women also exchange Thambulam – a plate containing Betel leaves, Betel nuts, turmeric, kumkuma, coconut, and cloth – after Friday prayers.
- The devotees offer the Goddess Maa Vilakku (made using rice flour, jaggery, and ghee).
- The women devotees carry pots of turmeric water and pour it over a wooden staff erected at the temple. The wooden staff is considered as the Mother Goddess.
- Sakkarrai Pongal
- Garlands that made of lemons
- Lighting ghee lamps
- Offerings of milk and egg to snake pits
- Thamboolam is given to five Sumangalis (married women)
Benefits of Observing Aadi Velli Vratham
- The benefits of observing the Aadi Velli Vratham are as follows.
- Removes all the negative forces surrounding you
- Will be freed from all the problems
- Female devotees pray for the long life of their husbands
- Unmarried girls pray to the Goddess to get a good husband
- Grant sound health, wealth, intelligence and prosperity
Source: Quora , Universal Divine Art, AstroVed, TripAdvisor