Non-communicable diseases like hypertension, diabetes and heart problems are the main killers of Malaysians which are closely linked to unhealthy lifestyles.
According to the National Health and Morbidity Survey 2015 conducted by Ministry of Health (MOH), more than one million (9.2%) of those in the age group between 18 to 40 years have diabetes, 1.7 million (14.7%) have hypertension and 14% are obese.
So put your willpower to the test with these 4 basic criteria or habits for a healthy lifestyles that everyone should diligently practice:
1. Lead a smoke-free life
2. Ability to maintain healthy weight (a BMI of 18 – 25) or successfully losing weight to attain healthy weight
3. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily
4. Exercise 30 minutes or more, 5 times a week
For the smokers, while for some breaking the addictive habit may seem challenging at the beginning, remember that it is injurious to your health. Quit smoking is profoundly a sound decision to make and likewise for the sake of others around you.
Now that you know the 4 core-essentials that is needed to keep you on track towards a rewarding lifestyle transformation, it is up to you to build the momentum and consistency in your everyday choices.
Apart from that do embrace these simple actions that may contribute to improving length and quality of your life:
• Keep Your Mouth and Gum Clean by brushing and flossing daily to stay healthy and disease free.
• Sleep Well as people with proper rest perform better and able to manage their stress and control their irregular food cravings and hunger pangs.
• “The Family That Eats Together Stays Together”. Regular meals together are foremost a quality way to connect and bond with your family and friends, allowing lively conversations and healthy meals.
• Get the Facial Muscle Workout with good laughs and loads of smiles daily. Hectic life and boredom will be instantly replaced with happy feelings when reading, watching sitcoms or hanging out with fun friends cracking a joke or two.
• Find Inner Peace by meditating, praying or otherwise finding solace for at least 10 – 20 minutes a day. This will certainly help you with the demands of daily life and possibly even lower your blood pressure.
• Step It Up and Get Physical. Whatever the stumbling blocks have been in the past, leave them behind. Physical activities as simple as walking with gradual increase can help reduce stress, burn calories and boost self-esteem.
• Have A Good Posture. Standing up straight will make you feel energized as the lungs get all the oxygen without difficulty. You will instantly look slimmer and presentable with tightened abdominal muscles which also reduces back pain.
• Go Yoga as it improves balance, endurance, flexibility, and strength, helps keep the mind sharp, relieves stress and anxiety, and can strengthen your immune system
• Protein Essentials. Make protein as an essential part of your dietary plan with small portions of nuts, low-fat dairy, beans, lean meat, poultry, or fish as it makes up 10%-35% of your total calories. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
• Boost Your Mental Health by having positive attitude, believing in yourself and surrounding yourself with network of good supports.
A healthy lifestyle involves eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly and managing stress effectively.
Making these healthy choices every day can affect more than your physical appearance - it can also increase both the length and quality of your life by boosting your immunity to disease and keeping you emotionally healthy.
Sourced from: Webmd and NewStraitsTimes
Images credit: Farmfuture, Walldevil, Abcnews and ScottAlanTurner
Tue Aug 23 2022
Top 5 Under-Rated Kerala Dishes You Must Try
Step out of your comfort zone and try these less common Kerala dishes that are simply delicious
The Mystical Story Behind Onam Celebration!
Onam is a ten-day festival celebrated by the Malayali Hindus in the first month of Malayalam calendar Chingam. Find out the story behind this auspicious celebration...
Research: Your Phone Color Reveals your Personality
Does the color of your mobile phone reveal your personality? This research thinks so.
Bhangra To A Better Body!
Bhangra is one of the best folk dances to get in shape while listening to your favourite Bollywood tunes. Here's why and how!
Seven Selfies you Should Never Share Online!
Taking a selfie has become a norm nowadays. But steer clear of posting these types of selfies which may cost you your reputation, or even life...
The 18 Renowned Siddhars And Their Expertise
In learning about Tamil culture and history, one should never ignore the existence of Siddhars.
Tasty Maracurry Mess Recipes Fresh from The Pot!
Maracurry Mess is a show airing on Astro Vaanavil (Ch201), featuring renowned local chef Rajesh Subramaniam whipping up delicious vegetarian dishes.
Break These Bad Lifestyle Habits and Start Living Healthy
Put your willpower to the test with these four basic habits for a healthy lifestyles that everyone should diligently practice...
Five Tips to Brave The Current Heatwave
Several areas in the country are currently experiencing yellow-level heatwave, with temperatures reaching up to 37 degrees Celsius. Here are five quick tips that may help you emerge unscathed in this predicament.
Yoga, The Best Remedy For Pregnant Women
Astro Announces Succession Plans
Why Is Navarathiri Celebrated?
Here's how the story goes...
Nine Avatars Of Goddess Durga
During the war between Durga and Mahishasura, Durga takes nine different forms over nine days to win over the demon...
Unknown Facts About Navrathri!
These are some of the unknown facts about Navrathri...
Scientific Reason Behind Fasting On Navarathri
Here are the scientific reasons behind fasting on the nine days of Navarathri...
Auditions now open for Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro
Aspiring Malaysian talents aged 18 to 35 years old are invited to participate in the Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro for a chance to begin a career as a TV or radio host.
What Are Yasmin & Suresh Doing In The Kitchen? And Why Did They Say They’re Not Guilty?
Something delicious is happening in the kitchen. Join Suresh and Yasmin as they deep fry a bunch of food with NeuVida cooking oil.
Astro customers to enjoy up to 50% off Padma Shree Hariharan concert tickets
Astro customers can enjoy up to 50% off concert tickets to legendary Indian playback singer Padma Shree Hariharan live in Malaysia on 12 November, 7pm at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre.
A.R RAHMAN 'LIVE IN CONCERT' TO WOW MALAYSIAN FANS IN JANUARY 2023!!
After a gap of six (6) long years, internationally-acclaimed Indian composer, A.R Rahman is coming to Malaysia, thanks to a spectacular concert - `A. R Rahman - Secret of Success - Live in Malaysia 2023
Enjoy more local Tamil shows premiering in September on Astro
Astro customers can look forward to more premiering local Tamil shows this September, including drama telemovie, Abaaya Sangili and drama series, Oru Kalainganin Diary on TV, Astro GO and On Demand.