Amavasai holds great religious significance in Hindu culture, particularly for honoring and worshiping ancestors and departed souls. It is believed to be an ideal time for offering prayers and oblations to the ancestors.
Scientifically, Amavasai represents the lunar phase of the New Moon, when the Sun and the Moon are in conjunction, and the moonlight is absent from the Earth's perspective. However, in Hindu traditions, the absence of moonlight on Amavasya is seen as a symbolic time for introspection, reflection, and remembrance.
Having said that, Amavasai falls today (19 May 2023)..
Amavasai Tithi starts at 12.12 AM (on Friday - 19 May 2023)
Amavasai Tithi ends at 11.52 PM (on Friday Night - 19 May 2023)
This period, also called the fortnight of ancestors, is considered highly sacred for performing rituals and offering prayers to departed souls. It is believed that during this time, the spirits of ancestors visit the Earth, and by performing rituals and offerings, their blessings and liberation can be sought.
On Ashwin Amavasya or Pitru Paksha, Lord Vishnu, the preserver in Hindu mythology, and Yama, the god of death, are specifically worshiped. Offerings such as food, water, and prayers are made to honor the departed souls. Additionally, it is customary to offer food to cows, crows, dogs, and ants as a way of showing respect to all living beings.
Charity and donations are also considered significant on this day. People often engage in acts of charity, such as giving food, clothes, or other necessities to the needy, as a means of seeking blessings for their ancestors and performing selfless acts.
Let’s look at the do’s and don'ts of this auspicious day:
- Fasting on this day is considered auspicious; it is supposed to ensure the good health of the spouse and the well-being of progenies.
- Light a mustard oil lamp at ‘Peepal Tree’ to please the ancestors
- Wake up early in the morning and after taking a bath, worship lord Shiva and Vishnu.
- Pour a spoon of milk into a hole in the earth, it will help you get rid of hurdles in life.
- To neutralize the ill effects of Shani Dev, offer mustard oil, black ‘urad dal’, an iron piece, black cloth, and a blue flower in Shani Temple and chant the Vedic mantra of Lord Saturn – 101 times – 'Om Nilanjansamabhas Ravuputra Yamagrajam. Chayamartandsambhut Namami Shanaishchara". This will remove the anger and malefic effects of Saturn and other planets.
- Feed wheat flour balls to the fishes on Amavasya; it will remove all obstructions to incoming wealth.
- For a person who is chronically ill: Wake up before sunrise, after having a bath, take a thread from any clothing which is worn by the patient and some additional cotton, make a wick dip it in a lamp filled with mustard oil, and light this lamp; place it in front of an idol of Lord Hanuman and chant the ‘Hanuman Chalisa’.
- Offer five different fruits to a cow - this will bring peace & harmony to the family.
- Thank all our ancestors and take blessings from the elders in the family
- No auspicious ceremony should be performed.
- Do not pluck Tulsi leaves or the leaves of the ‘Bail Tree’
- Avoid consuming meat, fish, egg garlic and onions, etc
- Avoid going out or long travels
- Should not take any life-changing decisions
- Avoid any kind of quarrels or fights at home
- Do not get angry or use abusive language
1. Chant Chandra Gayatri Mantra
2. Carry a pure moonstone pendant
3. Breath 21 times with your left nostril while closing the right one and step out with your left foot forward first - this way, you will activate the intuitive part of your brain
Source: DrikPanchang , English Jagran