South India is a place that is full of wonder, delight, history, colour, culture and everything wonderful in between!
We've compiled 10 cool facts about South India that might surprise you.
1. South India was ruled by more than 18 dynasties over 4000 years
The most important dynasties are Cheras, Cholas, Chalukyas, Sathavahanas, Pallavas, Hoysalas, Kadambas, Wodeyars, Kakatiyas, Rashtrakutas and the Vijayanagara Empire. The rise of the Muslim empire in South India took place in 1323 CE and was then followed by the Nizams and British Empire from the 18th century.
2. Home to exquisite silk and cotton clothing
The beautiful silk saris of Kerala to the Pochampally pattu saris of Telangana are simply breathtaking and adds to the wonders of South India. Kanchipuram's silk sari also known as Kanjeevaram sari is South India's answer to the Banarasi Silk saris. Silk Dhotis and Kanduvas make the men look regal.
3. South India is a melting pot of variety of classical dance forms
Bharatanatyam from Tamil Nadu, Kuchipudi from Andhra Pradesh, Kathakali from Kerala and Yakshagana from Karnataka are the dance forms that are popular all over the world. They are enjoyed by other countries because of their expressive and elegant dance moves.
4. There are six classical languages in India and four of them are from South India
The four are Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu. Many of the South Indians are bilingual and speak at least two of these languages.
5. It is the home to the largest biodiversity in India
South India is home to over 450 bird species, about 140 mammalian species, 260 reptiles and 175 amphibians; in addition to over 6000 plant species. Most of the commonly used spices like cardamom and black pepper originate from South India.
6. It covers 19.31 % of the entire subcontinent geographic area
South India occupies 19.31% of India's area 245,480 sq.mi.
7. One-fifth of the entire Indian population reside in South India
With a population of 252 million, 20% of the country's population are South Indians. That's a lot of relatives for you who are from South India!
8. The economic growth of South India is more than twice than that of North India
South India has a stronger economic growth with its 17% to North India's 8%.
9. South India produces 48% of India's cotton production
35% of the entire cotton in India is grown in the second largest city of Tamil Nadu, Coimbatore.
10. South India is the largest producer of spices in India
According to a 2011 research, India holds the top spot as the largest producer of spices in the world; producing over 1.5 million metric tonnes. More than 900,00 of these are grown in South India. Kerala tops the list and that is why Portugal was interested in colonising South India.
Click here to watch our exclusive videos and celebrity interviews at Ulagam's YouTube channel!
Source: South Report
Photo Credit: Travelogy India, excelsol, southreport