Fri Jul 24 2020
The COVID-19 outbreak is not "officially" over but the government has chosen to loosen restrictions in some sectors, and activities, such as gyms and yoga studios.
However, the reopening of these sectors does not mean that we can get back to the situation before the pandemic broke. It is wise for us to follow the instructions set for the safety of all.
Besides wearing a face mask and keeping a one-metre distance between one another, washing hands frequently, here are some other tips for a safer yoga practice.
1) Avoid physical contactA yoga pose often needs help from an instructor to assume, and maintain. However, during these times, it is best to refrain from any physical contact, be it among instructor and students, but also among fellow students. Please keep a distance of one metre from the next person, or two metres if you are engaging in high-intensity yoga, which would involve a lot huffing and puffing and sweating, which may end up spreading a virus through an infected person's saliva or sweat.
2) Clean the studio, disinfect propsPractitioners should clean and spray their yoga mats before and after using it in the studio. Yoga studio owners should also wipe down the work space with disinfectant wipes, becase the virus that causes COVID-19 can survive for hours on certain surfaces. If using disinfectant using a session is not practical, wear gloves. These will come in handy when you are touching water bottles, your phone, or towel during practice. Remove your gloves when you have access to water and soap, or going to the shower.
3. Choose a well-ventilated areaPick an open space to have your classes in, or choose a studio with good ventilation to avoid COVID-19 risks. A closed, humid and poorly-ventilated area could increase the chance of the virus' spread. Besides a well-ventilated space, having less students in a class, would also give them more space to move around.
4. Bring your own yoga mat, propsThis should go without saying - avoid borrowing a yoga mat from others. If you don't have one, it's time to get one. Yoga stuido owners should not encourage students to rent mats, and other yoga props. Instead, encourage all students to bring their own. Yoga mats should be sanitized by washing them in hot water, and dried under the hot sun.
5. Follow the SOPsThe National Security Council has set standard operating procedures on sports and recreational activities, including yoga. Among them ate sanitizing the activity space three times a day, providing hand sanitizers, and conducting temperature checks at entrances and the common areas.
Though your yoga session will not look "normal" as long as this pandemic is still around, these rules and regulations have been given to help everyone navigate around them while being, and sustaining their livelihoods at the same time. So, let's bear this in mind, and be safe.
Nizha Periaswamy is a freelance writer and yoga teacher.
Photo source: Pixabay
Five Common Household Herbs That is Good for Daily Life!
These five most common herbs and spices have amazing benefits and are available at your local grocers or online.
Each Day Of The Week Is Dedicated To A Hindu God. Here's Why...
Do you know that every day of the week is dedicated to a God in Hindu culture? Here's why...
The Great Story Behind Karthigai Deepam!
Today, Hindus observe the Karthigai Deepam festival to celebrate the triumph of light over darkness. It is one of the significant festivals celebrated in Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Moderate Daily Consumption of Coffee & Tea Lowers Risk of Stroke and Dementia: Study
Having a few cups of coffee or tea in the morning could lower the risk of stroke and dementia, a new study has revealed.
Let's Keep Our Deepavali Traditions Alive!
These are some of the facts behind the Deepavali customs that we should practice and pass it to the next generation...
The Legends Of Deepavali!
These are the famous legends that's being associated with this celebration...
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
The Death of Naragasuran is Not the Reason Why We Celebrate Deepavali?
What is the actual reason behind celebrating the Festival of Lights? Read on here...
Why It’ll Be A Tragedy If The Vanakkam Disappears
This is the significance of saying Vanakam.
Special Deepavali Mixed Biryani With Chicken, Prawn and Fish!
We bet you've tried Chicken, Mutton, Fish, Seafood or Vegetarian Biryani but have you tried mixed biryani?
Guess How This Veeram Child Artist Looks Right Now!
Yuvina Parthavi, the adorable child artist from Veeram, is all grown-up right now. Here's how she looks!
Nayanthara Buys a Luxury Home to Live In After Marriage
Lady Superstar Nayanthara gets two luxury properties in Chennai, close to Dhanush and Rajinikanth!
Ramya Krishnan to Replace Kamal Haasan on Bigg Boss Tamil S5?
Is renowned actress Ramya Krishnan set to take over as host of Bigg Boss Season 5 from Ulaganayagan Kamal Haasan?
Andrea Jeremiah's Egyptian Vacation is Giving Us Travel Goals!
Check out gorgeous pictures from actress Andrea Jeremiah's vacation to Egypt!
Veteran Local Cinematographer/Composer Ghazali Abdul Razak (Zallee) is No More
Renowned local cinematographer cum composer and editor Ghazaali Abdul Razak (Zallee) has passed away, after a battle with fourth stage lung cancer. He was only 38.
Samantha Auditions After 12 Years & Lands a Foreign Film with Reputed Director!
Samantha has landed yet another exciting project, this time in a foreign film. Here's what she's got to say about it...
Sanjeev Shows His True Self Before Entering the Bigg Boss S5 House!
Bigg Boss wildcard entry Sanjeev shows his daily routine before joining Bigg Boss S5 Tamil!
Housewife Seeks Public Help to Raise Funds For Husband's Pancreatic Surgery
Housewife R. Devasundari is urgently seeking to raise funds for a surgery for her husband C. Tinesh Kumar, who's suffering from chronic pancreatitis. Here's how you can help...
Actress Shriya Gives Major Vacation Goals With Her Latest Travel Pics!
Actress Shriya is having the time of her life with her family in Goa. Check out the pictures here...
Catch Your Favourite ‘Kollywood Queens’ on Pop-Up Channel 100 This Dec, Only on Astro
Astro is presenting pop-up channel 'Kollywood Queens' (CH 100), featuring movies of four gorgeous Kollywood stars, namely Jyothika, Simran, Nayanthara, and Trisha, throughout this December.