Forex scams include the buying or selling of foreign currencies by a company that is not licensed by Bank Negara Malaysia.
Don’t allow this to happen to you.
So, what are the tell-tale signs of a forex scam?
1. Companies, headquarters and bank accounts that are registered in countries where the banking rules and tax regime are loosely controlled. This is a major red flag as it is nearly impossible to get your money back once it has left Malaysia.
2. Scammers want your bank details and signatures, but their side of paperwork and signatures is always “almost coming”. That is because they don’t like providing evidence of their shady operations. Their supposed overseas headquarter is an excuse they will use very often.
3. Their offices look extremely professional. They will deck their space out with expensive furniture and TV screens which show currency movements. This is to trick you into believing that actual, legitimate business activities are being undertaken at the premise.
4. Fake testimonials and pictures of people with huge amounts of cash or luxury items. This is worthless evidence and proves nothing, except maybe a proud display of the cash they have stolen from their previous victims.
5. The scammers might even pay out the first return on a small investment as a lure to get you to agree to a larger investment. Once you agree, your money and the scammers vanish.
6. An introduction from family or friends. These scams often work because they depend on victims to recruit their friends and families. As difficult as it will be: if tell-tale signs point to it being a scam, don’t listen to your friends and family.
Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) would like to alert the members of the public a list of companies and websites which are neither authorised nor approved under the relevant laws and regulations administered by BNM.
This article is brought to you by AKPK
Photo source: Astro Awani
Thu Oct 03 2019
These Four Things Could Make you a Bankrupt!
These are the four things that could land you in a bankruptcy.
'Kootu': Is it Illegal to Play this 'Quick Cash' Scheme?
Playing 'kootu' is a common method for Malaysians to raise quick cash. But do you know that you can get into trouble with the law for organizing or participating in this scheme?
Six Simple Ways to Save Money
How much you earn does not really dictate how much you can put aside on a monthly basis. Here are six simple ways for you to save money.
Why You Should Pay Your Credit Card Bill On Time
This is why you should pay your credit card bills on time.
Five Ways you Can Generate Side Income
Here are five ways you can earn some side income without quitting your main job.
Putrajaya Revokes Liquor Licence Directive For Eateries
Putrajaya has agreed to revoke the licence requirement for eateries to sell alcohol from next year, Transport Minister Wee Ka Siong has confirmed.
Gain Tips to Grow Your Business With This Namma SME Webinar
Gain tips to grow your business with this instalment of the Namma SME webinar on Aug 18, jointly brought to you by Astro Ulagam, Quake, and RAAGA.
Get SME Funding Tips With the Lights! Finance! Action Webinar on Apr 8
Get tips to fund your small and medium enterprise, from the experts, on the Lights! Finance ! Action. SME Business Funding Made Easy webinar on Thursday, April 8.
Boost Your Marketing Techniques By Joining the LEVEL UP Webinar!
Join the LEVEL UP! – POWER Your Way To Profit Through Clever Marketing to gain tips from experts from various fields, on Feb 3, 8pm.
Learn How to Be Your Own Boss with the Gear Up Webinar!
Wannabe businesspeople and those who are already their own boss alike, can benefit from tips given in the Gear Up: From Worker to Boss Via the SME Life webinar on Dec 15.
Why These Villagers Can't Forgive Lord Hanuman?
There's a group of villagers in the Uttarakhand Himalayas who refuse to place Lord Hanuman's idol in their temples.
The Science Behind Vaastu Shastra and Why It's Important
What is Vaastu Shastra about and how is it applied in the real world?
Khushbu's Eldest Daughter to Become an Actress, But...
Actress Khushbu and director Sundar C's eldest daughter Avanthika plan to pursue an acting career, but her parents won't be launching her!
Join "Baba's & U Enggal Insta Chef" Contest & Stand A Chance To Win Up To RM10,000 Grand Prize!
Participate in the "Baba's & U Enggal Insta Chef" monthly contest by uploading your cooking video on social media and be in the running to win RM1,000 monthly cash prize and RM10,000 grand prize!
Five Actresses Who've Shared Their Struggles with Mental Health!
Check out these five Kollywood actresses who were bold enough to break through celebrity boundaries and open up about their mental health!
Rap Porkalam is Back; Bigger, Better, Bolder!
The second season of local Tamil rap competition Rap Porkalam is back - bigger, better, bolder! Catch the premiere on June 4, 9pm on Astro Vinmeen (CH202).
Isaignani Ilayaraja Composes Title Track for Stranger Things Season 4!
Isaignani Ilayaraja scores the theme music of Stranger Things S4, in partnership with Netflix India!
Tasty Maracurry Mess Recipes Fresh from The Pot!
Maracurry Mess is a show airing on Astro Vaanavil (Ch201), featuring renowned local chef Rajesh Subramaniam whipping up delicious vegetarian dishes.
Man Sentenced to 10 Years' Jail for Driving Wife to Suicide Over Dowry
A court in Kerala, India, has sentenced a man to 10 years in jail for harassing and abusing his wife over dowry, which ultimately resulted in the woman's suicide.
Malaysian Educator Named Global Winner of 2022 Cambridge Dedicated Teacher Awards
Malaysian educator Khaliffa Afnan from Sabah has been named the global winner of the 2022 Cambridge Dedicated Teacher Awards - beating 7,000 other nominations from 113 countries.