Forex scams include the buying or selling of foreign currencies by a company that is not licensed by Bank Negara Malaysia.
Don’t allow this to happen to you.
So, what are the tell-tale signs of a forex scam?
1. Companies, headquarters and bank accounts that are registered in countries where the banking rules and tax regime are loosely controlled. This is a major red flag as it is nearly impossible to get your money back once it has left Malaysia.
2. Scammers want your bank details and signatures, but their side of paperwork and signatures is always “almost coming”. That is because they don’t like providing evidence of their shady operations. Their supposed overseas headquarter is an excuse they will use very often.
3. Their offices look extremely professional. They will deck their space out with expensive furniture and TV screens which show currency movements. This is to trick you into believing that actual, legitimate business activities are being undertaken at the premise.
4. Fake testimonials and pictures of people with huge amounts of cash or luxury items. This is worthless evidence and proves nothing, except maybe a proud display of the cash they have stolen from their previous victims.
5. The scammers might even pay out the first return on a small investment as a lure to get you to agree to a larger investment. Once you agree, your money and the scammers vanish.
6. An introduction from family or friends. These scams often work because they depend on victims to recruit their friends and families. As difficult as it will be: if tell-tale signs point to it being a scam, don’t listen to your friends and family.
Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) would like to alert the members of the public a list of companies and websites which are neither authorised nor approved under the relevant laws and regulations administered by BNM.
This article is brought to you by AKPK
Photo source: Astro Awani
Thu Oct 03 2019
Five Ways you Can Generate Side Income
Here are five ways you can earn some side income without quitting your main job.
Five Tips to Get Out of Debt
Is your monthly income going mainly toward settling your debts? Here are five tips that may help you slowly, but surely, get out of your predicament...
Six Simple Ways to Save Money
How much you earn does not really dictate how much you can put aside on a monthly basis. Here are six simple ways for you to save money.
Is A Credit Card Really Right For You?
Almost everyone you know now has a credit card (or two, or more!), so it's no surprise you're tempted to jump on the bandwagon.
These Four Things Could Make you a Bankrupt!
These are the four things that could land you in a bankruptcy.
'Kootu': Is it Illegal to Play this 'Quick Cash' Scheme?
Playing 'kootu' is a common method for Malaysians to raise quick cash. But do you know that you can get into trouble with the law for organizing or participating in this scheme?
Why You Should Pay Your Credit Card Bill On Time
This is why you should pay your credit card bills on time.
Putrajaya Revokes Liquor Licence Directive For Eateries
Putrajaya has agreed to revoke the licence requirement for eateries to sell alcohol from next year, Transport Minister Wee Ka Siong has confirmed.
Gain Tips to Grow Your Business With This Namma SME Webinar
Gain tips to grow your business with this instalment of the Namma SME webinar on Aug 18, jointly brought to you by Astro Ulagam, Quake, and RAAGA.
Get SME Funding Tips With the Lights! Finance! Action Webinar on Apr 8
Get tips to fund your small and medium enterprise, from the experts, on the Lights! Finance ! Action. SME Business Funding Made Easy webinar on Thursday, April 8.
Astro Announces Succession Plans
Why Is Navarathiri Celebrated?
Here's how the story goes...
Nine Avatars Of Goddess Durga
During the war between Durga and Mahishasura, Durga takes nine different forms over nine days to win over the demon...
Unknown Facts About Navrathri!
These are some of the unknown facts about Navrathri...
Scientific Reason Behind Fasting On Navarathri
Here are the scientific reasons behind fasting on the nine days of Navarathri...
Auditions now open for Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro
Aspiring Malaysian talents aged 18 to 35 years old are invited to participate in the Ultimate Star Search 2022 on Astro for a chance to begin a career as a TV or radio host.
What Are Yasmin & Suresh Doing In The Kitchen? And Why Did They Say They’re Not Guilty?
Something delicious is happening in the kitchen. Join Suresh and Yasmin as they deep fry a bunch of food with NeuVida cooking oil.
Astro customers to enjoy up to 50% off Padma Shree Hariharan concert tickets
Astro customers can enjoy up to 50% off concert tickets to legendary Indian playback singer Padma Shree Hariharan live in Malaysia on 12 November, 7pm at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre.
A.R RAHMAN 'LIVE IN CONCERT' TO WOW MALAYSIAN FANS IN JANUARY 2023!!
After a gap of six (6) long years, internationally-acclaimed Indian composer, A.R Rahman is coming to Malaysia, thanks to a spectacular concert - `A. R Rahman - Secret of Success - Live in Malaysia 2023
Enjoy more local Tamil shows premiering in September on Astro
Astro customers can look forward to more premiering local Tamil shows this September, including drama telemovie, Abaaya Sangili and drama series, Oru Kalainganin Diary on TV, Astro GO and On Demand.