I first encountered a singing bowl in my yoga class 5 years ago. My then yoga teacher used the bowl during our meditation session. That particular bowl was made of metal but there are bowls made of crystal in the market now.
The singing bowl is played by gliding a mallet around the bowl to produce a deep and loud sound. It is mostly used for meditation purposes or in restorative yoga classes.
The vibration that comes from these bowls, which are also known as the Tibetan Singing Bowls or Himalayan Singing Bowls in the Western world, produces a rich, deep tone that is said to promote relaxation and have powerful healing properties.
The sound from these bowls induce a meditative state which plays an important tool to reduce stress levels, improve hormone levels, blood pressure and also blood sugar levels.
Mainly used by Buddhist monks for meditation, not singing bowls are popular tools in yoga studios and even in home practice.
Here's how you can utilize a singing bowl in your yoga practice.
1. Use it before starting a session, to tune your brain and body into readiness.
2) Use it during savasana (an asana in hatha yoga and modern yoga as exercise, often used for relaxation at the end of a session). If you are a yoga instructor, use a singing bowl to induce calmness and stillness during a savasana session. The sound can bring harmony to the mind and body.
3. Conclude your practice by using the bowl.
4. Use it during session, between poses or asanas. For instance, focusing on a gazing point accompanied by the sound from a singing bowl while holding a pose can provide tranquility and mindfulness.
5. Use the singing bowl during breathing practice. The mind tends to ofren fluctuate with various thoughts during breathing or meditation sessions. The sound from a singing bowl might help rein in your concentration and focus on the sound.
While a singing bowl is not an accessory to beautify your yoga practice, it is a holistic way to restore the body, mind, heart, and soul. Try it out and see the difference for yourself!
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer
Photo source: Pixabay
Wed Apr 29 2020
Blazing Hot Recipes From Analparakuthu!
Can you smell what’s cooking? It’s our brand-new cooking-show ‘Analparakuthu’ hosted by Rakesh with local celebrity guests every week!
"I Made It" - Actress Nivetha Thomas Shares Her Greatest Accomplishment!
Actress Nivetha Thomas took social media to share her latest achievement. Check it out here...
Comedian Sathish Trolls Bigg Boss Abishek Because Of This Reason!
This is what actor Sathish posted after contestant Abishek Raja denied watching Bigg Boss previously...
Nayanthara & Vignesh Shivan's Movie Joins India's Official Entry To Oscars 2022!
After winning multiple international awards, this Nayanthara & Vignesh Shivan's movie has been shortlisted to join India's official entry...
This Contestant Might Get Eliminated from Bigg Boss Tamil S5 This Week!
There are high chances for this Bigg Boss S5 contestant to leave the house this week!
Sudha Chandran's Viral Video Appealing to PM Modi Gets a Response from CISF!
Actress Sudha Chandran's pleads on social media goes viral and gets a response from the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)!
"Nothing Can Stop Him!" - Boney Kapoor Shares the Unseen Photos of Thala Ajith
Valimai producer Boney Kapoor praises Thala Ajith's passion in a new tweet!
PHOTOS: Samantha Goes on a Spiritual Trip with Her Friend!
Actress Samantha takes a trip with close friend after her split from Naga Chaitanya!
Is Kaatrukkenna Veli's Main Actor Leaving the Show?
Is Kaatrukkenna Veli Surya leaving the serial to pursue something new? Here's what we know...
Join Tamilethumy Season 2 Watch & Win Contest 2021!
Along with the launch of Tamiletchumy 2, we are bringing you an exciting Watch & Win contest with TWO (2) winners every weekday!