By Nizha Periaswamy
Millions of people across the world have benefited from the practice of yoga. In fact, the practice, believed developed by the ancient sages thousands of years ago, has blossomed vibrantly over the years and left a phenomenal impact on its practitioners.
Yoga is a method to unite the mind, body and soul. In Sanskrit, it also means "The highest state of concentration".
Yoga is a way of life which guides humans to live a wholesome life using easy techniques and methods to achieve physical and mental fitness, with minimal time, effort and expense.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his speech at the recent World Yoga celebration, called yoga as "India's gift to the world."
This art has also caught up with the Western world, and although today it is massively commercialised, yoga is still valuable as a practice in daily healthy living.
Yoga practitioners should revere to the great sage Maharishi Patanjali, who is believed to have made the existing yogic practices, systemised and codified. His "Patanjali's Yoga Sutras" are also hailed as the Yoga Bible by its practitioners.
In Malaysia, yoga has shown a drastic expansion in the past 10 years - taking many forms and types of practice. One can step into yoga centres where the art is not only taught by Indians, but also other races. Besides, yoga classes are also nowadays conducted in many fitness studios.
Before joining any yoga classes, it is best to know the many different types of Yogasana, Each type caters for a different purpose. Below are the different types of yoga:
1) Hatha is the most common type of yoga and the traditional way of practice. It is designed to align and calm your body, mind and spirit, in preparation for meditation, It is suitable for every level of practitioner, including beginners.
2) Vinyasa yoga is popular and is taught at most studios and gymnasiums. Vinyasa incorporates breath with yoga movements. It helps practitioners develop a balanced body, and it is suitable for those looking for some "adventure" in practicing the art.
3) Ashtanga yoga was introduced by Sri K Pattabhi Jois in the early 20th century, which synchronizes the breah with a progressive series of postures that produces intense internal heat ad profuse sweat that detoxofies muscles and organs. This yoga is suitable for those who don't get bored easily and have high stamina.
4) Iyengar yoga is named after BKS Iyengar, a famous yogi from India who introduced the style with emphasises on the alignment of asanas using breath control and the use of props. It is suitable for the elderly, people with special needs, and people who enjoyed detailed methods in their practice.
5) Power yoga is an active approach to the traditional Hatha yoga, whereby the poses are performed more quickly and with added core exercises and upper body work. It is suitable as a weight programme.
6) Yin yoga is a meditative practice that allows your body to become comfortable in a pose without doing any work. The postures are more passive, is mainly confined on the floor, and gives a much deeper access to the body. This yoga is elderly practitiobners and those looking for relaxation while performing asanas.
So, which one is your pick?
Photo source: Sakthi School of Yoga
Tue Sep 24 2019
The Yogic Diet To Boost Your Immunity
A strong immune system is crucial to fight off illnesses. Here are some good food habits that help boost your immunity...
Canadian Province Quebec to Impose 'Health Tax' on the Unvaccinated
The Canadian province of Quebec will start imposing a "health tax" to residents who choose not to get vaccinated against COVID-19, its premier has announced.
Floods Causing Rise in Mental Health Issues: Report
The recent storms and ensuing floods have led to a rise in the number of mental health issues among the public, experts have said.
The Different Types of Yoga & the Calories They Burn
These are the different types of yoga and the amount of calories they burn...
Finding The Peace Within With Yoga
Here are five ways you can use yoga to restore peace and harmony in life.
Open Your Heart Chakra To Build Stronger Relationships
Facing issues in your relationships? The blockage of your heart chakra could be one of the reasons. Learn how to 'unlock' it, here...
Are You Secretly Unhealthy? Here Are the Warning Signs
So you think you are in the pink of health? Think again, as you may need to see a doctor if you have any of the following symptoms...
உடலுக்கு நன்மை பயக்கும் இஞ்சி பானம்...
இஞ்சி நம் உடலுக்கு அதிக நன்மை அளிக்கும் உணவுகளில் ஒன்றாகும்.
COVID-19: Almost 20,000 Recovered Patients Suffer from Long COVID, Parliament Told
Almost 20,000 people in the country suffer from long COVID, which is a term to describe the effects of COVID-19 that continue for weeks or months beyond the initial illness.
Can't Meditate? Try Mindfulness Instead!
Are you facing issues practising meditation? Consider doing these simple mindfulness exercises instead to keep your mind focused...
Director Selvaraghavan & Wife Infected With Covid-19
Popular director Selvaraghavan and his wife Gitanjali have tested positive for Covid-19. Let's wish the couple a speedy recovery...
‘Aruvi’ Director Arun Prabu Ties The Knot!
Director Arun got married to Teena in an intimate wedding ceremony. Congratulations to the happy couple!
Actors Harish Uthaman & Chinnu Kuruvila Exchange Wedding Vows
Congratulations to Kollywood actor Harish Uthaman and Mollywood actress Chinnu Kuruvila...
KT Kunjumon Returns To Cinema After 20 Years With Gentleman 2; Offers Gold Coins
The producer offer gold coins for 3 lucky winners who can guess Gentleman 2's music director correctly...
This is Why Samantha Removed the Divorce Post from Instagram!
Actress Samantha removed her divorce announcement post from Instagram recently and here's the reason why...
Bigg Boss Pavni Reddy Opens Up About Marriage
Here's what Bigg Boss Pavni Reddy thinks about remarriage...
Astro Group Sweeps Four Putra Brand Awards
Astro won Platinum once again in Media Networks category at the Putra Brand Awards 2021.
Priyanka Chopra and Hubby Nick Jonas Welcome Their Firstborn!
Actress Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas become parents. Check out the announcement here!
Guess Why Priyanka Deshpande Never Mentioned Her Husband on Bigg Boss!
Bigg Boss Priyanka never mentioned her husband on the show and the real reason has been revealed!
Shakeela Roasts Netizens for Dragging Simbu in Dhanush-Aishwarya's Divorce!
Actress Shakeela slams netizens for getting overly invested in Dhanush-Aishwarya's divorce and the personal lives of celebrities like Simbu, Shruti Haasan, DD and many others...