Fri Sep 24 2021
Every time there is a mantra chanting practice in my yoga class, whether during pranayama (breathing) or dyana (meditation), the chant we use is "Aum", which is known as the moola mantra (root mantra) that signifies the very first sound of the universe.
It is believed that the soul, body and the universe revives around a vibrating energy, and by chanting "Aum", we create an energy which activates the inner self.
"Aum" is not just a sound. According to many spiritual scriptures, this mantra is a representation of power that you need to meditate on its meaning.
Each letter of this mantra is said to carry a different meaning. "A" represents the ultimate beginning of the universe, and Hindus associate it with Brahma - The Creator.
"U" indicates the stability of the energy channel that preserves and sustains us and the universe. In Hinduism, it symbolizes Lord Vishnu - The Preserver.
"M" meanwhile, symbolizes the closing and the beginning of the end. Hindus see this as a representation of Lord Shiva - The Destroyer, the force of culmination, completion and finalization.
Now let's see how the "Aum" mantra can better our lives:
1) Connects With Your Core"Aum" connects your inner self to the universe. After a hectic day at work, just sit cross-legged in a quiet room and chant "Aum" to create internal and external harmony.
2) Calms You DownThe sound of "Aum" is an energy and it holds a lot of positivity. It has a calming effect on the brain and central nervous system, keeping you in the present moment and being mindful. If you have difficulties in focusing or concentrating, then try to hold your thoughts together with this "Aum" mantra.
3) Tunes the bodyWhen you chant the "Aum" mantra, the vibrations resonate through your chest, and then through your throat and skull. This gives you an instant sensory connection with the body's energy which can help you feel more in tune with yourself and your physical being.
4) Tool of communication"Aum" is also a tool of communication, especially when it's done in a group, or with your family or partner. It brings a lot of positive aura and is incredibly powerful. All positive energy, when it's pooled together, produce a lot of vibrations that can heal bad thoughts. If you are being bogged down by any issues, try chanting this mantra with people you trust and you will see a lot of difference.
5) Good start to the dayIf you do yoga asana in the morning, you are doing right by your body. But how about training your mind to face the rest of the day? Chanting "aum" in the morning provides a dynamic start to the day.
Beginners could possibly start by chanting "Aum" 108 timesa day, and gradually increase as per their convenience. Remember that this mantra is not necessarily associated to any religion. Instead, it is a universal sound that can be uttered by anyone.
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer.
Photo source: Pixabay
The Real Essence Of the Festival Of Lights
This is the significance of lighting lamps during Deepavali.
Why It’ll Be A Tragedy If The Vanakkam Disappears
This is the significance of saying Vanakam.
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
How Can Hindu Youths Celebrate Deepavali?
Deepavali represents the conquest of good over evil. During the festival, lamps are lit in every home and that is why Deepavali is also known as the 'Festival of Lights'.
The Legends Of Deepavali!
These are the famous legends that's being associated with this celebration...
Special Deepavali Mixed Biryani With Chicken, Prawn and Fish!
We bet you've tried Chicken, Mutton, Fish, Seafood or Vegetarian Biryani but have you tried mixed biryani?
Elderly Blessings: Reason To Touch Their Feet On Deepavali!
It is a custom or a common practice to touch the feet of an elderly person especially parents and grandparents on Deepavali.
Seven Chai-Flavoured Desserts You Can Try This Deepavali If You Really Like Tea
These are seven chai-flavoured desserts you can try to do this Deepavali if you really like tea.
The Death of Naragasuran is Not the Reason Why We Celebrate Deepavali?
What is the actual reason behind celebrating the Festival of Lights? Read on here...
The Significance Of Lighting Lamps During Deepavali
So what is the significance of lighting lamps? Find out here...
Is 'Mouna Raagam 2' Actress Raveena Daha In A Relationship?
Actress Raveena's emotional social media post on her birthday has started relationship rumours. But this is what the actress revealed...
'You Are the Master of Your Own Battles, Stand and Shine!'
Saumyaasiny Vijayan suffers from Spastic Triplegia Cerebral Palsy, but the young champion is not letting her disability get in the way of "shining bright" in life.
Indians 'Gifted' With Highest Negative Blood Phenotypes: National Blood Centre
Indians are 'gifted' with the highest percentage of negative blood phenotype compared to the other races in the country, the National Blood Centre has confirmed.
"Someone Is Impersonating Me" - Bigg Boss Suresh Reveals!
This is what Bigg Boss Suresh revealed in his latest social media post..
Chemistry Teacher V Komathy Wins Global Teacher Award 2021!
Chemistry teacher V. Komathy has won the Global Teacher Award 2021, given out to recognize remarkable educators at school and college level.
Actor Besant Ravi Talks About Survivor; Shares His View After Watching It At Home!
Actor Besant Ravi got eliminated from the Survivor Tamil show recently. This is what the actor revealed after watching the program at home...
This Controversial Contestant Evicted From Bigg Boss Tamil S5 This Week?
Both Chinna Ponnu and Abishek Raja was in the danger zone, and now it is speculated that this contestant has left the show...
Blazing Hot Recipes From Analparakuthu!
Can you smell what’s cooking? It’s our brand-new cooking-show ‘Analparakuthu’ hosted by Rakesh with local celebrity guests every week!
"I Made It" - Actress Nivetha Thomas Shares Her Greatest Accomplishment!
Actress Nivetha Thomas took social media to share her latest achievement. Check it out here...
Comedian Sathish Trolls Bigg Boss Abishek Because Of This Reason!
This is what actor Sathish posted after contestant Abishek Raja denied watching Bigg Boss previously...