The usually round in shape, powder or sticker applied on your forehead is not just a ‘dot’ to beautify you. A ‘pottu’ or bhindi, has far more important significance than one can imagine.
The area in the forehead, between the eyebrows, is where our pineal and pituitary glands, or the third eye (the ajna chakra) is placed. This sixth and most powerful chakra in the human body encompasses the head, eyes and brain. Thus, this is believed to be the centre of knowledge, intuition, awakening and awareness. And so, the pottu was believed to be created to worship one's intellect.
Applying a pottu on the forehead by pressing it firmly to make sure it stays in place, offers some immense health benefits. Maybe after this, you will never take pottu for granted, in fact it would become part of morning routine!
Here are some benefits of applying pottu.
1. It ensures that thoughts, speech, actions, habits and ultimately one's character, becomes pure. Through a strong intellect, one can make noble decisions in life, and be able to stand up to challenges in life with courage, and recognize and welcome good thoughts in life.
2. Pressing on this point for a few seconds can relieve, or reduce headache. This is because, a number of key nerves and blood vessels converge at this point.
3. The same point is also connected to the muscles around the eyes, and stimulating the nerve around it is believed to improve eye health.
4. The trigeminal nerve, which is responsible for sensation in the entire face, gets stimulated with constant pressing of the point. This reduces swelling and congestion of the sinus. Pressing on this point also helps keep your skin young, and your facial muscles strong.
5. It is also said that pressing the point stimulates the nerves that connect to the cochlear, thus improving one's hearing.
6. This region of the forehead bears the brunt of your stress, so relaxing it can relieves stress to a great extent. Pressing it relieves stress, fatigue and eases eye strain.
7. One will gain a calmer and better sleep, as the glands around this area produce hormones that are related to sleep and happiness.
8. Pottu is also believed to protect women from negative vibes, and enables her to carry herself without disturbance. There is a flow of divine consciousness from the kumkum (red pottu) which forms a protective sheat around the woman, protecting her from all negativity.
9. Pottu, especially the kumkum kind, is said to retain energy in the human body, and control various levels of attention.
10. It also symbolizes auspiciousness and good fortune.
11. For married women, applying red pottu is believed to usher in prosperity, and grant her a place as the guardian of her family's welfare and progeny.
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer.
Sun Dec 01 2019
The Real Essence Of the Festival Of Lights
This is the significance of lighting lamps during Deepavali.
Why It’ll Be A Tragedy If The Vanakkam Disappears
This is the significance of saying Vanakam.
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
How Can Hindu Youths Celebrate Deepavali?
Deepavali represents the conquest of good over evil. During the festival, lamps are lit in every home and that is why Deepavali is also known as the 'Festival of Lights'.
The Legends Of Deepavali!
These are the famous legends that's being associated with this celebration...
Special Deepavali Mixed Biryani With Chicken, Prawn and Fish!
We bet you've tried Chicken, Mutton, Fish, Seafood or Vegetarian Biryani but have you tried mixed biryani?
Elderly Blessings: Reason To Touch Their Feet On Deepavali!
It is a custom or a common practice to touch the feet of an elderly person especially parents and grandparents on Deepavali.
Seven Chai-Flavoured Desserts You Can Try This Deepavali If You Really Like Tea
These are seven chai-flavoured desserts you can try to do this Deepavali if you really like tea.
The Death of Naragasuran is Not the Reason Why We Celebrate Deepavali?
What is the actual reason behind celebrating the Festival of Lights? Read on here...
The Significance Of Lighting Lamps During Deepavali
So what is the significance of lighting lamps? Find out here...
Is Kaatrukkenna Veli's Main Actor Leaving the Show?
Is Kaatrukkenna Veli Surya leaving the serial to pursue something new? Here's what we know...
Join Tamilethumy Season 2 Watch & Win Contest 2021!
Along with the launch of Tamiletchumy 2, we are bringing you an exciting Watch & Win contest with TWO (2) winners every weekday!
Officials Reveal the Real Reason Behind Comedian Vivek's Sudden Death!
Did comedian Vivek die because of the COVID-19 vaccine? Here's what the report says...
Bigg Boss Nadia Chang's Salary Reportedly Didn't Even Cover Her Expenses!
Bigg Boss Nadia Chang's salary is reportedly lesser than her expenses to join the reality show!
Vignesh Shivn Shares Unseen Photos with Nayanthara for Their 6th Anniversary!
It's been six years since actress Nayanthara and director Vignesh Shivn started dating and here's how they looked during the initial stages of their relationship!
Malaysian Appointed First Professor of Urology in Historical University of Cambridge
Malaysian Prof Vincent J. Gnanapragasam has been appointed the first professor of urology in the historical University of Cambridge.
Booster Dose Programme For Sinovac Recipients Begins Today: KJ
The government will expand the COVID-19 booster dose programme to those who have been inoculated with the Sinovac vaccine, Health Ministry Khairy Jamaluddin has said.
Actress Samantha to File Defamation Case Against Several YouTube Channels!
Actress Samantha is planning to send legal notices to several YouTube channels and an advocate who allegedly defamed her. Check out the full story here!
Winners of Tamilethumy Season 2 Watch & Win Contest 2021
Congratulations to the winners of Tamiletchumy S2 Watch and Win contest!
Is Pandian Stores' New Mullai Leaving the Serial Soon?
Actress Kaavya Arivumani who plays the character Mullai in Pandian Stores is planning to leave the serial?