Do you know that yoga can actually make your skin glow, and make you 'beautiful', both inside and outside?
Yoga ensures appropriate blood circulation in your body, restores your skin by flushing out toxins from your body, and regulates your digestive system.
According to a study in the Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 12 weeks of yoga slowed down cellular ageing and lessened the impact of stress at the cellular and DNA level.
Now, check out these 5 'beauty' benefits of yoga:
1) Restores damaged skin cellsIn yoga, the practice of pranayama (breathing techniques) can help restore damaged skin cells. This is because pranayama increases the flow of oxygen in the cells that improves the body's natural healing process. During deep inhalation, the lungs are opened up and the flow of oxygen is increased. This eventually increases the flow of oxygenated blood that is rich in regenerative properties, to the skin cells.
2) Lowers stress levels, avoid breakoutsWhen your stress level is low, or under control, there are lesser chances of you getting a breakout or acne on the face. Doing yoga lowers the level of cortisol, a stress hormone which triggers changes in your body.
3) Glowing skinYou can get glowing skin by practising yoga. In yoga, many of the asanas (poses) helps the practitioners increase bloow flow to the face. For example, headstand (sirsasana), fish pose (matyasana), child’s pose (balasana), plough pose (halasana) and triangle pose (trikonasana), can boost blood circulation and deliver oxygen to the face and flush out toxins. You will get a glowing face as a result!
4) Yoga improves sleep, helps you stay youthfulSince yoga has stress relieving properties, it helps the practitioner get, better sleep. A quality sleep is essential to your body as it helps the skin to restore, repair, and rejuvenate overnight. Regular yoga practice keeps your body active, and better sleep, as a result.
5) Strengthens your immune systemYoga hardly makes one ill, as it has the "super power" to improve and strengthen the immune system. Yoga helps to clear the blocked energy pathways in the body and distributes equal energy to all the cells in the body. Asanas, pranayama, or even a simple mudra, can increase the energy flow, and improve one's immune system to fight off infections that may lead to bad skin condition. A strong immune system is reflected in beautiful skin too!
So, why wait? Pick up yoga now!
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer
Photo source: Pixabay