Below are five examples of what NOT to do to your car:
1) Ill-fitting vehicle matsWe are talking about non-OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) ones, which are of different size than the actual one meant for the car. Such carpets are capable of sliding when the car is in motion, and getting stuck on your accelerator or brake pedal, which could then lead to accidents.
2) Dashboard coversSure, putting a fancy cover can protect the dashboard from scratches, cracks and fading due to sunlight, but such covers can also prevent the airbag from safely deploying during a crash. This could serious injuries, and even death.
3) Seat covers in cars containing side airbagsMany new car models nowadays have added safety features, including airbags in your seats to protect the user's head and torso in the event of a crash. Covering the seat with an additional cover will prevent the airbag from deploying properly during a crash, causing casualties or even death.
4) Dangling accessories on the rear view mirrorThe rear view mirror is often used by many motorists to display their creativity, and personality. From sunglasses to earphones, and even fancy chains and 'Dreamcatchers', these dangling accessories are capable of causing hurt to the driver or passenger in the event of sudden braking. In fact, heavy dangling objects can also cause cracks/damages to the inside of your windscreen, in a similar scenario.
5) Dummy seat belt bucklesThis has got to be one of the dumbest accessories out there. Seat belts are there for a reason, people!
Many use this lame accessory to silence the "annoying" beeps modern cars emit when the belt buckle is not fastened.
According to the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (Miros), dummy belt buckles can prevent airbags from functioning at crucial times, and reports have also shown that 30 percent of 1,000 road accidents from 2017 to 2020 involved those who used dummy buckles instead of wearing actual seat belts.
The next time you want to accessorize your car, just remember to steer clear of the five things above. Remember that staying alive and healthy is cooler than having a fancy, but lesser functional car.
Source: bjak.my, hotcars.com
Photo source: pexels, bjak.my, hotcars.com