Here are some beliefs regarding the consumption of water and food during eclipse:
- Stop eating two hours before an eclipse.
- Eat light and easy to digest foods before and after the eclipse. Turmeric can be added to the foods.
- Avoid non-vegetarian food.
- Don't carry any cooked food anywhere before an eclipse.
- Pregnant women and elderly may eat light food such as dry fruits and raisins during the eclipse.
- Darbha grass kept in food containers.
And here's the reason why these were practiced during an eclipse:
During an eclipse, the wavelength and intensity of light radiations which are known for their natural disinfecting property reduce, causing an uncontrolled growth of micro-organisms in food products.
This makes the food products not suitable for consumption. Thus why turmeric and darba grass are mostly used during the eclipse for its antibacterial properties.
Failing to follow this might cause indigestion and serious health issues, and that's exactly why our elders came up with such rules to keep us safe and healthy.
Image credit: EDEXLive.com and Isha Sadhguru
Sourced from: NDTV