Today is World Wide Web (WWW) day, a day observed on August 1 every year to highlight the importance of the web in improving people's lives by facilitating communication, access to information and resources, as well as education and empowerment.
Here are 10 quick facts about world wide web that you should know:
1) A British engineer cum scientist called Sir Tim Berners-Lee wrote the first proposal of what would later become the world wide web, in 1989.
2) The first ever website was launched in 1997 by Berners-Lee and his team of other engineers at CERN - the European Organization for Nuclear Research. The site, whose domain name is http://info.cern.ch, is still live today.
3) The first ever search engine, which went live in 1990, was called Archie. Its name was derived from the word archive. Only much later were search engines like Yahoo and Google were developed.
4) The World Wide Web was made available to everyone for free in 1993.
5) The first photo uploaded on the web was in 1992. It was an image of CERN's in-house band called Les Horribles Cernettes.
6) Most people assume that the internet and the web are the same thing. They are not. The internet, which came first, is a huge network of computers connected together from all over the world, while the web is a collection of web pages found on this network of computers.
7) It is estimated that around 3 billion people surf the web around the world, daily. China leads the list with most active surfers, followed by India, and the US. The number of devices connected to the web exceeds the world's human population.
8) Today, there are more than 1.8 billion websites. Pornography forms the biggest chunk of the world wide web, despite the fact that the first website that used the .xxx domain only went live in 2011.
9) The web is the fastest growing medium of communication of all time. Radio took 38 years to reach 50 million people, and TV took 13 years to do the same. The web took only four years.
10) As per Alexa Internet research, the top five popular websites in the world are Google, YouTube, Facebook, Baidu, and Wikipedia.
Source: bbc.co.uk, mentalfloss.com, technotification.com, gadgetsnow.com
Photo source: bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 01 2022
Dhee Full Interview I Saravedi Talk
Manmadha Bullets Reloaded I Full Episode 2
Exclusive Interview with Krish I Saravedi Night
Manmantha Bullets Reloaded I Full Episode I EP 1
Bhagyalakshmi @ Suchitra I Full Interview I Saravedi Talk
Dato' Sri Siti Nurhaliza I Exclusive Interview | Astro Ulagam
Interview with Sri Nisha
Interview With Hari Priya
Kanna Murukku Thinna Aasaiya | Episode 5
What fate awaits Mama and the love-sick Jeeva? It’s time to find out!
Kanna Murukku Thinna Aasaiya | Episode 4
Grab your murukku because Mama is about to make a shocking discovery.