Today is World Wide Web (WWW) day, a day observed on August 1 every year to highlight the importance of the web in improving people's lives by facilitating communication, access to information and resources, as well as education and empowerment.
Here are 10 quick facts about world wide web that you should know:
1) A British engineer cum scientist called Sir Tim Berners-Lee wrote the first proposal of what would later become the world wide web, in 1989.
2) The first ever website was launched in 1997 by Berners-Lee and his team of other engineers at CERN - the European Organization for Nuclear Research. The site, whose domain name is http://info.cern.ch, is still live today.
3) The first ever search engine, which went live in 1990, was called Archie. Its name was derived from the word archive. Only much later were search engines like Yahoo and Google were developed.
4) The World Wide Web was made available to everyone for free in 1993.
5) The first photo uploaded on the web was in 1992. It was an image of CERN's in-house band called Les Horribles Cernettes.
6) Most people assume that the internet and the web are the same thing. They are not. The internet, which came first, is a huge network of computers connected together from all over the world, while the web is a collection of web pages found on this network of computers.
7) It is estimated that around 3 billion people surf the web around the world, daily. China leads the list with most active surfers, followed by India, and the US. The number of devices connected to the web exceeds the world's human population.
8) Today, there are more than 1.8 billion websites. Pornography forms the biggest chunk of the world wide web, despite the fact that the first website that used the .xxx domain only went live in 2011.
9) The web is the fastest growing medium of communication of all time. Radio took 38 years to reach 50 million people, and TV took 13 years to do the same. The web took only four years.
10) As per Alexa Internet research, the top five popular websites in the world are Google, YouTube, Facebook, Baidu, and Wikipedia.
Source: bbc.co.uk, mentalfloss.com, technotification.com, gadgetsnow.com
Photo source: bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 01 2022
Unique Malaysia: Common Slangs We Often Use & What They Mean
As Malaysians, we often utter slang words that have unique meanings. These are some of them and what they mean.
Eight Ways to Naturally Boost your Immune System
These are eight sure-fire ways to boost your immune system, the natural way.
Editor's Pick: Best 6 Last-Minute Shopping Places for Deepavali in Malaysia
If you are looking for some last-minute shopping ideas, check out these places to get some quick fix to your dilemma
Chittu Urundai: The Forgotten Delicacy
Have you ever eaten Chittu Urundai? In fact, it is a traditional delicacy that is forgotten.
9 Ways To Have A “Save” Deepavali Celebration!
A quick guide to avoid getting carried away with our spending.
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
Seven Tips to Drive Safely in the Rain
Driving in the rain can be really challenging sometimes. Here are seven tips to help you drive safely in wet road conditions.
The Significance Of Lighting Lamps During Deepavali
So what is the significance of lighting lamps? Find out here...
The Science Behind Vaastu Shastra and Why It's Important
What is Vaastu Shastra about and how is it applied in the real world?
BEGINNER: Simple Rangoli Design Using Only Plates & Bangles
Deepavali Vantiruchi! What's more fun than drawing kolam together with your family members?
TFA’s Shantanand Festival of Arts 2022 Returns With Shrine of Artistic and Cultural Activity
With the theme “Remember, Reignite, Reconnect,” the Temple of Fine Arts’ annual arts extravaganza returns, rekindled, resilient, reignited, reconnecting to the world!
Karthigai Deepam 2022: Know The Significance, Rituals, & Time of This Grand Festival
As Karthigai Deepam is lit up at 6.00pm sharp each year on the top of the Thiruvannamalai hill, we may start to light up the lamps at the same time as the temple lights up.
Diiyaash Dev; A Young Prodigy with A Powerful Memory Holds the Malaysia Book of Records
Meet our Lil champ Diiyaash Dev who has carved his name in the Malaysia Book of Records (MBR) by being “The Youngest to Speak Expressive Vocabulary” in Malaysia.
Kangana Ranaut To Take On The Iconic Role Of ‘Chandramukhi’
Kangana Ranaut who plays the female lead role in Jayalalithaa's biopic film - ‘Thalaivii’ is all set to bring back her majestic appearance in the iconic role of Chandramukhi in P. Vasu’s Chandramukhi 2.
Check Out 6 Movies of Kamal Haasan That Celebrated Tamil Art & Tradition!
Let's take a look at the 6 movies Kamal Haasan brought Tamil arts and traditions to the mass audience...
Meet Maya, The Real-Life “Iron Lady” of Malaysia
Meet Maya - indeed a beautiful ‘Rope Access Technician’ and ‘Non-Destructive Testing Technician’ who was seen in a video posted on Twitter by Kuala Lumpur Reporter climbing to the top of one of the Petronas Twin Towers to repair its light bulbs.
Nisshaa, A Young Woman Who Is Not Letting Her Crippling Condition Get in the Way
Nisshaa Muniandy suffers from a crippling combination of dystonia and epilepsy, but the young woman is not letting that get in her way of achieving in life. This is her inspiring story...
Krishen Jit Fund Awards 6 Grants to Exceptional Malaysians
Astro in collaboration with Creador Foundation and Five Arts Centre has awarded six grants to creative Malaysians worth a total of RM57,000, ranging from RM5,000 to RM15,000 through the Krishen Jit Fund.
Male Body Shaming, the 'Less-Talked Social Issue'
Why don’t we talk about male body shaming?
Samuel Isaiah Emerges as the First Malaysian to Receive TRT World Citizen Educator Award
Samuel Isaiah beams with pride by emerging as the first Malaysian to be awarded TRT World Citizen Educator Award.