Many people - my students and non-students alike, have approached me to get treated for thyroid, which is a silent, but major health condition.
According to the Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, a higher percentage of Indians, especially females, suffer from some sort of thyroid disorder. The thyroid gland is located near the throat, and affects many functions, such as one's growth and weight, besides balancing the hormones.
Thyroid imbalance can cause two conditions - hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is where the thyroid glands do not make enough hormones to function well. This slow one's metabolism rate, which can lead to weight gain. Other symptoms of hypothyroidism are dry skin, constipation, sensitivity to cold, puffy face and muscle weakness.
Hyperthyroidism, meanwhile, involves excessive production of hormones by an overactive thyroid gland. Sufferers of this condition can experience a fast heartbeat, increased appetite, anxiety, sensitivity to heat, or sudden weight loss.
Including yoga into your daily routine may help improve your thyroid function and benefit your overall health.
According to yoga guru, and co-founder of Patanjali Yogpeeth, Swami Ramdev, certain yoga poses can cure thyroid, completely.
Here are a few yogasanas, pranayama and mudras to reduce the impact of the thyroid gland imbalance.
1) Surya Namaskar aka Sun Salutation is a series that combines 12 poses performed in a sequence, to keep the body flowing with energy. This pose is most beneficial for those suffering from hypothyroidism, to increase the metabolism rate.
2) Sarvangasana – This pose, which involves a shoulder stand, with the body upside down, allows blood flow to the neck and throat region, stimulating the thyroid gland. If you are a beginner, please work under the guidance of a certified yoga teacher.
3) Halasana - This pose takes the shape of a plough. To assume this position, from shoulder stand, simply drop your feet until it touches the ground beyond your head. This pose helps relieve fatigue and boosts energy. In addition to making the mind calm, it also makes the waist and spine stronger.
4) Matsyasana - Also known as the fish pose, it allows the expansion of the neck while the crown of the head is pointed towards the floor. Arching the back while holding this pose improves blood circulation to the thyroid gland, stimulating its hormones.
5) Kapalbathi - This complex form of Pranayama (breathing) increases the body's immunity and helps mantain body heat. Toxic substances are flushed out from the body with this technique, which is best used to treat hypothyroidism. The improved blood circulation from this technique helps fight fatigue faced by most thyroid condition sufferers. However, this pranayama needs to be done under the supervision of a qualified instructor, especially for a beginner.
6) Ujjayi – This breathing technique done through the nose, by narrowing the glottis as air passes in and out of the nostrils, creates "ocean sound". Ujjayi helps relieve depression and boosts confidence. It stimulates the nervous system and improves the function of all endocrine glands, including the thyroid gland.
7) Shunya Mudra - This hand gesture balances the excess of space element in the human body. It helps to manage problems related to hormonal imbalance, including thyroid and menstruation. In this mudra, fold the middle finger until it touches the base of the thumb, while the thumb touches the back of the middle finger. The three remaining fingers should be straightened, while relaxed.
There are various other yoga poses, breathing techniques, and hand gestures that can be used to balance the thyroid gland. Just remember that many of these, however, should be done under the supervision of a certified yoga instructor to avoid accidents, and injuries.
Nizha Periaswamy is a yoga instructor and freelance writer.
Photo source: Yoginizha Yatra
Fri May 29 2020
The Real Essence Of the Festival Of Lights
This is the significance of lighting lamps during Deepavali.
Why It’ll Be A Tragedy If The Vanakkam Disappears
This is the significance of saying Vanakam.
Deepavali Special: Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy
Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys? Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
How Can Hindu Youths Celebrate Deepavali?
Deepavali represents the conquest of good over evil. During the festival, lamps are lit in every home and that is why Deepavali is also known as the 'Festival of Lights'.
The Legends Of Deepavali!
These are the famous legends that's being associated with this celebration...
Special Deepavali Mixed Biryani With Chicken, Prawn and Fish!
We bet you've tried Chicken, Mutton, Fish, Seafood or Vegetarian Biryani but have you tried mixed biryani?
Elderly Blessings: Reason To Touch Their Feet On Deepavali!
It is a custom or a common practice to touch the feet of an elderly person especially parents and grandparents on Deepavali.
Seven Chai-Flavoured Desserts You Can Try This Deepavali If You Really Like Tea
These are seven chai-flavoured desserts you can try to do this Deepavali if you really like tea.
The Death of Naragasuran is Not the Reason Why We Celebrate Deepavali?
What is the actual reason behind celebrating the Festival of Lights? Read on here...
The Significance Of Lighting Lamps During Deepavali
So what is the significance of lighting lamps? Find out here...
New Update in Samantha's Defamation Case; Here's What the Court Ordered
The court orders in favour of actress Samantha, but....
Winners of Tamilethumy Season 2 Watch & Win Contest 2021
Congratulations to the winners of Tamiletchumy S2 Watch and Win contest!
Deepavali 2021: These Are the SOPs Set by the National Unity Ministry
The National Unity Ministry has released the standard operating procedures (SOPs) to be observed during the upcoming Deepavali celebrations (Nov 4), to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Is This Famous Actor the Reason Behind Pavni Reddy's Bigg Boss Entry?
Did Bigg Boss Pavni Reddy get her opportunity to join the reality show because of this famous hero?
Join The Blue Cap x CIMB Virtual Run and Help Combat the 'Silent Killer'
Join the Blue Cap x CIMB Virtual Run for Prostate Cancer 2021 this November and help combat the disease dubbed the 'silent killer.'
Actress Asin Shares Adorable Pics From Daughter's Superhero-Themed Birthday Bash!
Check out the lovely pictures from the birthday party here...
Join Tamilethumy Season 2 Watch & Win Contest 2021!
Along with the launch of Tamiletchumy 2, we are bringing you an exciting Watch & Win contest with TWO (2) winners every weekday!
Samantha Takes a Trip to Dubai with Her Stylist Friend Julkaker
Actress Samantha packs her bags again and flies to Dubai. Guess who joined her trip this time around...
No Criminal Charges Against 'Disco Cops', Only Disciplinary Action: Report
The four cops who were caught partying with drugs and women inside a police station last July, will only face disciplinary action and not criminal charges.
Bigg Boss Abishek Denies Trolling Kamal Haasan In Viral Video!
Abishek Raja provides clarification regarding the viral video after his Bigg Boss exit...