CLOSE
CLOSE AD

An Average of One Suicide A Day During MCO, Shocking PDRM Statistics Show!

  • 23 Nov 2020
An-Average-of-One-Suicide-A-Day-During-MCO-Shocking-PDRM-Statistics-Show

An average of one person a day took their own life during the COVID-19 lockdown in the country, police statistics show. 

According to Bukit Aman Management Department director Ramli Din, 266 people committed suicide between March 18 and Oct 30 - averaging 30 a month, or one per day. 

The largest contributing factor for the suicides was debt problems (25%), followed by family issues (24%), and domestic disputes (23%), reported Kosmo. 

Other contributing factors to the suicides were love failures (15%), work-related issues, hallucinations and mental-related issues, as well as drug problems.

Johor reported the highest number of suicides in the said period (47 cases), followed by Selangor (39), Kuala Lumpur (28), and other states. 

Ramli said that men are more likely to kill themselves, with 78% of the statistics made up of men, while the remaining 22% were women. 

As for the age group, those aged between 19 and 40 made the majority (53%), followed by those aged between 41 above (24%), and 15 to 18 years old (23%). 

The majority of suicide cases involved by hanging (189 cases), while jumping off buildings came a close second (37 cases), followed by consuming poison (14), self harm (13) and so on. 

According to World Health Organization (WHO) statistics, a suicide happens every 40 seconds, bringing the average annual suicide numbers to 800,000 around the world. 

The statistic also shows that suicides are among the top 10 contributing factors for mortalities in the world, and the second highest for fatalities involving those aged between 15 and 29. 


Source: Kosmo
Photo source: forbes.com



Suggested Articles

COVID-19-Govt-May-Not-Extend-MCO-2-0-Beyond-Feb-4 News
ARTICLE
  • 26 Jan 2021

COVID-19: Govt May Not Extend MCO 2.0 Beyond Feb 4

The government may not extend the second Movement Control Order (MCO 2.0) beyond the tentative end date of Feb 4, as it could be detrimental to the country's economy.

COVID-19-A-Year-On-Health-DG-Laments-There-s-No-End-In-Sight News
ARTICLE
  • 25 Jan 2021

COVID-19: A Year On, Health DG Laments There's No End In Sight

It's been a year since the COVID-19 pandemic first hit Malaysia, but the end is nowhere in sight, the Health director-general has lamented.

Can-This-Gout-Medicine-Reduce-COVID-19-Complications-Deaths-A-New-Study-Says-So News
ARTICLE
  • 25 Jan 2021

Can This Gout Medicine Reduce COVID-19 Complications & Deaths? A New Study Says So...

A Canadian study has found that an anti-inflammatory drug called colchicine, commonly used to treat Gout, can be used to reduce the risk of complications and deaths from COVID-19. 

Elephant-Stomps-Through-Perak-School-Goes-Viral News
ARTICLE
  • 22 Jan 2021

Elephant Stomps Through Perak School, Goes Viral

A wild in elephant in Perak is going viral on social media after it was spotted stomping through the grounds of a school in Gerik.

Girl-10-Makes-Tiny-Dolls-To-Raise-Funds-For-COVID-19-Patients News
ARTICLE
  • 21 Jan 2021

Girl, 10, Makes Tiny Dolls To Raise Funds For COVID-19 Patients

Tamil Ilakkiya Ravichandran may be only 10, but the plight of COVID-19 patients has moved her so much, that she has started a "little" initiative to help them.

COVID-19-Face-Mask-Shunners-Top-the-List-of-SOP-Offenders News
ARTICLE
  • 21 Jan 2021

COVID-19: Face Mask Shunners Top the List of SOP Offenders

People who don't wear face mask in public have topped the list of offenders arrested or compounded for flouting COVID-19 preventive measures.