Below are some of the facts, summarised in numbers for easier understanding:
- Malaysians produce 38,000 tonnes of solid waste every day. Of that, about 17,000 tonnes is food waste.
- About 24 percent of the 17,000 tonnes (an estimated 4,046) is avoidable food waste.
- This amount is enough to feed three million people with three meals a day.
- The trend of food wastage increases by 15 to 20 percent during festive seasons.
- If every person avoided wasting one kg of food waste, about RM100 could be saved in a month for one family.
- The cost to dispose of food wasted by each Malaysian household comes to about RM210 a month, or RM2,600 a year.
- This cost is expected to increase to up to RM400 per household, by the year 2025.
Photo source: waste4change.com