The country's COVID-19 infectivity rate (Rt) has risen again, in tandem with the increasing number of cases.
Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said that as of Wednesday, the Rt rate stood at 0.99, which is just short of 1.0 - a mark that indicates the possibility of a new COVID-19 wave.
This is a rapid increase compared to the rates last Saturday (0.91), Sunday (0.92), Monday (0.94), and Tuesday (0.96), reported the New Straits Times (NST).
State wise, Putrajaya has the highest Rt (1.06), followed by Kuala Lumpur and Selangor at 1.03 each. Kelantan, Negeri Sembilan, and Pahang, follow suit to make the top 5, while Perak is the lowest at 0.86.
Noor Hisham further said that another 48 COVID-19 cases involving the highly transmissible Delta variant have been detected so far - 34 of which are in Penang, 12 in Pahang, and two in Perlis.
The delta cases are part of the 3,810 COVID-19 cases pertaining to variants of concern (VOC), and variants of interest (VOI) in the country, since the pandemic broke last year.
Another 6,323 COVID-19 cases were recorded yesterday, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 2.52 million.
The majority of the cases (98.5 per cent) are patients under Category 1 (asymptomatic) and 2 (mild symptoms) while the remaining 1.5 per cent involved those with lung infections and worse symptoms, requiring hospitalisation.
A total of 538 COVID-19 patients are being treated at intensive care units nationwide - 274 of whom require ventilation.
The country's fatality rate from the coronavirus is approaching 30,000, with 29,535 deaths clocked so far.
Globally, more than 252 million people have been infected with COVID-19, while over 5 million have died from it.
Photo source: Astro Awani
Fri Nov 12 2021
Educator Creates Second Record for Solving 51.3k Piece Jigsaw Puzzle!
Educator Shamini Vinoothan has secured another spot in the Malaysia Book of Records for solving a 51,300 piece jigsaw puzzle.
Meet The First Indian Horseback Archer
Rubentheran Sivagurunathan is the country's first Indian horseback archer, and he wants more Indians to be involved in the sport. Here's his story...
Meet The Baker Who Makes Surreally Lifelike Indian-Themed Designer Cakes
You would have probably come across images of Sundri Ramesh's works of art - cakes that look exactly like a saree, or other Indian traditional clothes. This is the story of the baker who gave up her corporate career to pursue her passion.
Standing Tall: Quick Facts About World's Second Tallest Building, Merdeka 118
Here are some quick facts about Merdeka 118, the world's second-tallest building, which has put the country back on the world map.
Five Quick Reasons We Are Lucky to Be Malaysians!
Malaysians celebrate our independence on August 31 and Hari Malaysia on Sept 16. No matter what our racial and religious beliefs are, here are five quick reasons we should all be proud of being Malaysians...
Once Malnourished India is Getting Fatter: Survey
Long known as a country of malnourished, underweight people, India is inching its way into becoming an obese country, a government survey has revealed.
Five Tips to Brave The Current Heatwave
Several areas in the country are currently experiencing yellow-level heatwave, with temperatures reaching up to 37 degrees Celsius. Here are five quick tips that may help you emerge unscathed in this predicament.
Beware: The Danger of Joining Non-Beneficial WhatsApp Groups
Sometimes, we join WhatsApp groups that are not really significant to us. This is the danger of doing so...
Meet the 69-Year-Old Lift Operator 'Guiding' People for Four Decades
At a time when most youngsters complain about being confined in a cubicle for eight hours a day, 69-year-old G. Kannipan has been working in a supermarket lift for the last 40 years, and he has no plans to quit anytime soon.
Meet The Selfless Woman Who Raised 45 Children As Her Own
Jasmine Selvarani Emmanuel has 45 children calling her mother, but none of them came from her womb. She and her late husband dedicated their lives to adopting children who needed love. This is their selfless story...
Five Everyday Items With Hidden Health Risks!
Many common items that we use in our daily lives could pose unexpected dangers at times. These are the among the commonly used items that come with hidden health risks...
Let's Keep Our Deepavali Traditions Alive!
These are some of the facts behind the Deepavali customs that we should practice and pass it to the next generation...
The Real Essence Of the Festival Of Lights
This is the significance of lighting lamps during Deepavali.
How Do The Clothes We Wear Affect Us On Deepavali?
Have you been taught about dressing up by considering the spiritual benefits or detriments?
Don’t Forget To Care For The Elderly During Deepavali!
Undoubtedly, the celebration on Deepavali illumines and brightens the whole country! These are some ways you can protect the elderly during the Festival of Lights.