The COVID-19 situation in the country has reached new heights - quite literally, with the Kinabalu Park Complex in Sabah closed to the public for two weeks after a mountain climber was found to be a close contact of a coronavirus patient.

According to Sabah Parks Board of Trustees permanent secretary Jamili Nais, the park complex, which is the getaway to Mount Kinabalu, will be closed until Oct 8 to allow the sanitization and disinfection of all amenities there.

"The Ranau district health office was informed that on Sept 13 and 14, a climber from Tawau had been a close contact of a COVID-19 patient," Jamili said in a statement, reported The Star.

All employees at the park complex, as well as mountain guides and porters on duty on the said days, will be subjected to health screenings, and anyone who tests positive for COVID-19, will be put on a 14-day quarantine, he added.

With 645 active cases, Sabah tops the list of the highest number of active COVID-19 cases in the country.

Yesterday, a total of 147 new cases were recorded - of which 134 were from Sabah.

Malaysia so far has 10,505 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 133 deaths from the disease.

The global infection and death tally from the coronavirus has surpassed 32 million and 981,000, respectively.


Source: The Star
Photo source: mountkinabalu.com