The government will put Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) from Wednesday, following the resurgence in COVID-19 cases.

Senior Minister (security cluster) Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this in a press conference earlier today.

"Upon the advise of the Health Ministry and after taking into account the increase in the number of cases, especially in Klang, Petaling, and Gombak, the National Security Council has agreed to enforce the CMCO in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, from midnight on Oct 14, until Oct 27, 2020.

"[Under the CMCO], interstate travels are not allowed. Workers who need cross state borders need to present authorisation letters from their employers or work passes," said Ismail.

According to him further, only two persons from a household will be allowed to shop for essentials.

"All schools, higher education institutes, skill training institutes, kindergartens, daycare centres, tahfiz centres, public abd recreational parks will be closed.

"Mosques and non-Muslim houses of worship will also be closed," said Ismail.

The order will also prohibit all forms of sports, recreational, social and cultural activities, including weddings, from taking place.

Also included in the list are entertainment centres and night clubs.

"However, all economic activities in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, and Putrajaya will operate as usual.

"The detailed standard operating procedure on this will be announced by the NSC soon."

During the press conference, Ismail also announced that the whole state of Sabah will be placed under the CMCO from tomorrow.

Malaysia has recorded triple-digit COVID-19 cases daily, in the past week.

So far, the country has 15,657 confirmed COVID-19 infections and 157 deaths from the disease.

The global infection and death tally from the coronavirus have surpassed 37.7 million, and 1.08 million, respectively.


Photo source: Astro Awani