A fifth person was charged at the George Town Magistrate's Court yesterday with the murder of bully victim T. Nhaveen, four years ago.

Contractor S. Gopinath, 30, was charged with committing the act between 11pm and midnight on June 9, 2017, with four others, near the Karpal Singh Learning Center in Gelugor, Penang, reported Bernama.

No plea was recorded from the accused, who is also the elder brother of another accused in the case, Gokulan, when the charge was read out to him, as the case falls under the High Court's jurisdiction.

The charge under Section 302 of the Penal Code carries the mandatory detah sentence upon conviction.

Magistrate R. Manomani set today for case mention, and the case is expected to be transferred to the High Court today as well.

According to Free Malaysia Today (FMT), Gopinath's charge came after T. Previin, 23, the key witness to the case, testified during Nhaveen's murder trial that the former had taken part in bashing the deceased until he became unconscious.

Previin too had suffered severe beating at the hands of the cuprits, to the extent of suffering a shattered cheekbone after being beaten with crash helmets by the suspects.

The other suspects involved in the case are J Ragesuthan, 22, S Gokulan, 22, as well as two others who were juveniles at the time the crime was committed.

All four had previously pleaded not guilty to a charge of causing grevious hurt to Previin, and were given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal (DNAA) on Oct 2, 2018.

Following Previin's testimony about suffering a shattered cheekbone, the four boys were charged again at the magistrate's court yesterday, with causing grevious hurt to the victim.

Nhaveen was just 18 when he was harassed and attacked by several teenagers, including a former schoolmate, while he was on his way home in George Town, Penang, with his friend Previin, on the night of June 9, 2017.

Nhaveen was abducted, while Previin managed to escape and went to former's home to seek help. The youngster was found the next morning, badly beaten, and sodomised. He passed away on June 15, 2017, while being treated at the hospital.

Source: Bernama, FMT
Photo source: FMT, NST