Floods can happen in the blink of an eye and leave you with weeks or months of cleaning up and recovery.
Sure, it is devastating, but life has to go on right? The following are 10 quick tips on coping up and cleaning up after a flood has ravaged your home, in case you find yourself in such a predicament:
1) Before you begin, take pictures or videos of the damages sustained. This is important for insurance claim or other related matters later.
2) DO NOT switch on any electrical appliances when they are still wet. Doing so could cause more damage than what the floodwaters has done to your beloved television or washing machine. Experts recommend letting the appliances dry out for at least five days before any attempt is done.
3) Wear sufficient protective clothing when you start the cleaning task. These include gloves and thick-soled wellington boots, as there could be sharp debris strewn about, as well as rodents, insects, or other dangerous animals like reptiles or snakes. The water may also be mixed with sewage water so it is best to keep yourself covered at all times.
4) No matter how exhausted you are while cleaning up, DO NOT touch the food that has been touched by the floodwaters. The same goes to food from the fridge that has been switched off for four hours, or from a freezer after 24 hours.
5) DO NOT drink tap water, especially if you notice a change in colour, taste or smell of the water.
6) You need to get rid of as much floodwater and silt as possible, before you embark on a clean-up task. A waterjet will come in handy for this job. Experts recommend cleaning up fabric-related items, such as carpets and clothes first, as they are harder to clean when the mud has hardened. Kitchen utensils can be cleaned last, as they just need a good rinse with soap.
7) Once most of the water is out, dry out the cleaned items. Put them to dry under the hot sun, or use a hair dryer, where necessary. Drying out wet things is crucial to ensure mold from settling in, and also helps in driving the odour out.
8) It may be expensive but not all items can be salvaged by cleaning and drying. You may have to get rid of some items entirely, such as wooden furniture, and get new ones to replace them. The same goes to certain electrical appliances.
9) Once all these is done, it is best to disinfect the walls and other hard surfaces of the houses with soap and hot water until they are clean. In the kitchen area, you can use disinfectant to clean up the surfaces. Wait for them to completely dry out before attempting to redecorate, to prevent mould from setting in.
10) When in doubt, seek professional help. Not all us would have lived through a flood, let alone know how to handle things the way they are supposed to, after the tragedy has happened. Look out for financial aid from your local or the federal government for flood victims as recovering can be an expensive affair. In the long term, once you have passed through this phase, look for ways to guard your house from recurring floods in the future, such as elevating the floor, among others.
So there you go, 10 quick tips to get you past the hardship of cleaning up after a flood tragedy. Hope it would be of help in these trying times.
Source: onehome.org.uk, The Rakyat Post
Photo source: Getty Images via familyhandyman.com
Fri Dec 24 2021
Nisshaa, A Young Woman Who Is Not Letting Her Crippling Condition Get in the Way
Nisshaa Muniandy suffers from a crippling combination of dystonia and epilepsy, but the young woman is not letting that get in her way of achieving in life. This is her inspiring story...
Satyan Anandarishnan Helps to Create a Component for the James Webb Telescope
Did you know that former aeronautics engineer Satyan Anandarishnan from Petaling Jaya had a hand in creating a component for NASA's James Webb Telescope? Here's his story...
[LIVE] GE15 Results Update
The results of the contest for 220 of the 222 parliamentary seats and 116 of the 117 state seats will be announced tonight.
Learn, Not Memorize the Language: Says This Award-Winning Malay Language Professor
Professor Dr Vijayaletchumy Subramaniam has won various awards for her inventions in the Malay language, and her achievements are far from over. This is her inspiring story...
Educator Creates Second Record for Solving 51.3k Piece Jigsaw Puzzle!
Educator Shamini Vinoothan has secured another spot in the Malaysia Book of Records for solving a 51,300 piece jigsaw puzzle.
Meet The First Indian Horseback Archer
Rubentheran Sivagurunathan is the country's first Indian horseback archer, and he wants more Indians to be involved in the sport. Here's his story...
Meet The Baker Who Makes Surreally Lifelike Indian-Themed Designer Cakes
You would have probably come across images of Sundri Ramesh's works of art - cakes that look exactly like a saree, or other Indian traditional clothes. This is the story of the baker who gave up her corporate career to pursue her passion.
Standing Tall: Quick Facts About World's Second Tallest Building, Merdeka 118
Here are some quick facts about Merdeka 118, the world's second-tallest building, which has put the country back on the world map.
Five Quick Reasons We Are Lucky to Be Malaysians!
Malaysians celebrate our independence on August 31 and Hari Malaysia on Sept 16. No matter what our racial and religious beliefs are, here are five quick reasons we should all be proud of being Malaysians...
Once Malnourished India is Getting Fatter: Survey
Long known as a country of malnourished, underweight people, India is inching its way into becoming an obese country, a government survey has revealed.
Stream Blockbuster Films on Astro Best and Stand to Win Prizes
Win a 32” Sony Smart TV, Wireless Gaming Headset, Soundbar with Subwoofer and more by streaming blockbuster hit films.
eet Tewahar, The 12-Year-Old Author of ‘Siragugal Mulaitha Tharunam’
Tewahar Ramachandran, a young author who proves age is not a barrier to write!
Kamal Haasan’s Thevar Magan Sequel is NOT Shelved but Delayed!
'Thevar Magan 2' has been put ON HOLD!
Malaysians Can Now Cast Their Votes for ‘Anugerah Podcast SYOK 2022’
In conjunction with the Anugerah Podcast SYOK 2022, all Malaysians are invited to vote for their favourite podcasts from now till 10pm, 22 December 2022, on the SYOK website.
Hariharan Exclusive Interview
Padma Shree Hariharan, the legendary singer has a lot to say about his journey of being in Tamil music industry for more than 40 years. Wanna know more about the legendary singer, watch the EXCLUSIVE video here!
Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh Named ‘Icon of the Year 2022’ by Time Magazine
Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh its 2022 Icon of the Year, highlighting her stories of a 40-year acting career that includes her film, Everything Everywhere All at Once.
Veteran Comedian Actor Siva Narayanamurthy Passes Away
Comedian of Tamil cinema Siva Narayanamurthy has passed away due to ill health.
Deepika Padukone To Unveil The Coveted FIFA World Cup 2022 Trophy
Deepika will be making an exclusive appearance at the FIFA World Cup 2022
Malaysian Trailblazing Women Graduates Inspire the Next Generation!
Meet the trios, who have set a high bar to accomplish their goals.
Watch Karthigai Deepam LIVE Streaming from Thiruvannamalai
Watch LIVE telecast of Karthigai Deepam 2022!