When was the last time you checked the address on your MyKad?

Beware as if you have the address in the document listed as a place where you have not been staying in the last three months, you could be violating Regulation 15 of the National Registration Regulations 1990.

Social news site SAYS cited information contained in the National Registration Department's (JPN) website that states that "the holder of an identity card who will be changing the current place of residence to another place of residence for a period of 90 days or more shall change the address on the identity card."

In case one's current residence address differs from the one stated on their MyKad, the document holder is urged to report to the nearest NRD office to change their address within 14 days.

At the counter, the card holder must present their current MyKad, as well as accompanying documents that can prove their place of residence, such as electricity or water bill, or property assessment tax, among others.

In case none of these documents are not available, the card holder can get a document from their village head, tuai rumah (Longhouse head), assemblyperson, Member of Parliament, or the Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM), said the SAYS report.

According to the NRD further, MyKad holders are not allowed to use their workplace, organisations, and post office (PO) boxes as their addresses. People renting a house for more than 90 days are not exempted from the rule, the directive added.

The address change will cost RM10 for Malaysians, while non-citizens have to pay RM40.

You can check the locations of your nearest JPN offices here, or click here to make an appointment on MyTemuJanji before your visit.

Source: SAYS
Photo source: Astro Awani