Here are some quick facts about the 42-year-old former chancellor that you may want to know about:
- Sunak was born on May 12, 1980, in Southampton
- His grandparents were from Punjab, but his parents Yashvir and Usha Sunak emigrated to the UK from East Africa
- Yashvir was a doctor at the National Health Service (NHS), while Usha ran her own pharmacy
- Sunak attended the prestigious Winchester College before going on to study Politics, Philosophy, and Economics at Oxford University
- He also holds an MBA from Stanford University in the United States
- Before joining politics, Sunak co-founded a large investment firm that worked with companies based in the Silicon Valley, California, and India's IT capital Bangalore
- Sunak is a Hindu and took his oath at the House Commons on the Bhagavad Gita
- He is a teetotaller
- Sunak has served as Richmond (Yorks) Member of Parliament (MP) since 2015
- He has also served as Chief Secretary to the Treasury, the second in command to the finance minister, overseeing public spending
- Johnson appointed Sunak as the Chancellor of the Exchequer, in his first full cabinet position, in February 2020. He resigned from the position on July 5, 2022
- Sunak is married to Akshata Murthy, the daughter of Indian billionaire and co-founder of IT services company Infosys, Narayana Murthy.The couple has two daughters
- Sunak and his wife are the 222nd wealthiest people in the UK, with a combined wealth of £730 million (RM3.9 billion).
The UK prime ministerial race is on its last leg, as by Thursday, the four candidates list will be narrowed down to two.
Following several rounds of meetings and ballots among the Conservative Party's members, the next British Prime Minister will be known the latest by September 5.
Source: Times of India, Wikipedia, Reuters, boldsky.com
Photo source: BBC, South China Morning Post