Strict action will be taken against eateries and restaurants not abiding by the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) set by the government, during the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).

Senior minister (security cluster) Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this in his daily COVID-19 related press briefing in Putrajaya, today.

He was responding to a question from a reporter about complaints against some mamak eateries allegedly operating beyond the allowed hours of until 10pm, and do not observe the SOPs set.

"We do not have 'favourites' when enforcing the law - no matter how popular a particular eatery is.

"All eateries and restaurants are supposed to follow the SOPs set, which is to shutter down at 10pm daily, and observe other measures, such as taking the temperatures and personal details of their patrons," he said.

"Social distancing measures must also be observed at these premises," he added.

According to Ismail, the matter will be discussed further in tomorrow's National Security Council (NSC) meeting.

Previously, there have been reports of people gathering at restaurants without practising social distancing, and without masks.

Despite the government allowing sit-in diners at restaurants under the CMCO, many restaurants are still playing it safe by allowing only take-away food and catering for delivery.

The CMCO, under which most economic sectors were allowed to reopen, ends on June 9.

It is not known whether or not Putrajaya will extend the measure.

COVID-19 has thus far infected 7,819 people in Malaysia, and killed 115.

Globally, the infection and death tally has surpassed 6.26 million, and over 373,000, respectively.



Photo source: Astro Awani